Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Being hacked. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eNerGiZer0101

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2004
CA
G'Day to all,

I have several image names in my task manager and i would like to know how to delete them.

I tried running tasklist/SVC in DOS but it won't recognize the command because I have windows XP Home.

Can someone please tell me where I can get tasklist to run in my CMD Prompt that way I can see wat files are running under each host.

These are the images:

SVCHOST.exe------->PID:1984
SVCHOST.exe------->PID:1804
SVCHOST.exe------->PID:1332
SVCHOST.exe------->PID:1100
SVCHOST.exe------->PID:480
SVCHOST.exe------->PID:444
SPOOLSV.exe------->PID:896

Cheers!

William.

It is normal to see this many SVCHOST.exe its used by window services.

SPOOLSV.exe is the printer spooler service.

Here is something from MS site give you some more info.

and you wouldnt want to delete them... they are required by windows to run. You could however disable some of the ones you dont need.

You can do this through the services.msc

Run WINMSD from the RUN box, then go to Software Environment - Running Tasks node, and ensure all svchost.exe procs are located in C:\Windows\System32.

Serbastic, I have 2 svchost.exe that say "not available" under running tasks. Could it be trouble?

IF the SVCHOST is indeed in uppercase there is a good chance you have a virus (Blaster is a good bet).
Run a good A/V and use a Trojan removal tool if need be.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back