Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginning to admin Opentext 10.3. Questions :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

deesloop

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2013
GB
Newbie with Opentext so explain simply please :)

Firstly we have a default project structure in an admin area so folk cant delete it (yes it's already been done)
Then in a more publicly available area we have a shortcut to that in a folder that runs the Create new project
routine.

Two problems so far

1. Categories set at the project level are not being propogated to subfolders. How can we fix this.

2. The original project workspace was also missing some categories
I've added these but the build project routine is using the old template?
I can create aproject and run the upgrade categories but thats not what we want.

Appreciate any help on offer and be warned that if you do help there will be lots more questions....

Also wondered if there were other forums to look at for newer users like me to seek answers to the more
obvious questions.

Thank in advance :)

When you find a noob livelink admin site, please reply :p

Those who excel on this app tend to forget that they're speaking in a foreign language by the time they explain it to someone who's only logged on the app a couple times.

Well, we've all got to start somewhere.
To me, neither of the questions are for experts, just someone who has used
it regularly.

We had a company install and configure livelink for us, but we're a pretty small
fish in a big sea, so getting answers back can be a little sluggish at best.

There are also OpenText forums.

You'll get answers there, eventually. If not, you'd have to take your issues up to OpenText Support.

Assuming this is Content Server 10 we're talking about here or is this Livelink?

Opentext Content Server / Livelink basic documentation is built in to the app, even context sensitive help. I'd download these and get familiarized with them. If you're like me and dont care for "help" that requires an online connection, there are probably hundreds of LL/CS pdf's on OT's Support site. I refer you to this because once you get a question answered, you'll run into another one... and once you get over that hurdle, you'll keep repeating that pattern. What should be obvious within the app is not always the case. I find that if i get familiar w/ the documentation specific to the tasks I'm running FIRST, I do far less tail chasing, less hair pulling, less wasted time.. etc.

. Categories set at the project level are not being propogated to subfolders. How can we fix this.

Probable answer-Are you using a Project as in the livelink Add Item Project or are you calling a Folder full
of structure a project .Both have different meanings in livelink.Categories applied at a container gets
propagated if you view the folder and go to the right.There should be an icon to add & push down categories
at the parent.When starting out create like things in your personal workspace and play with it.when pushing down categories
if you have manadatories set if you try to put them in versionable(document) objects you have to stick a value as well.

2. The original project workspace was also missing some categories
I've added these but the build project routine is using the old template?
I can create aproject and run the upgrade categories but thats not what we want.

I always try to learn it by doing things in my PWS,and I am on my 15 th years seeing this software
Many things in livelink can be done very easily at the GUI level user,with a little thought
For things missed you have programming avenues such as LAPI,webservices and a whole boat load of excel
kind of manipulators out there.Many people will invest in business user friendly things as they are not very costly.

Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone?
James Thurber, New Yorker cartoon caption, June 5, 1937
Certified OT Developer,Livelink ECM Champion 2008,Livelink ECM Champion 2010

I'm usin ght e contect help but what it says to do isn't working.
Maybe it's a design issue i nthe project.

Back to the support people...

Have you checked OT Forums? Do you have a Support Contract/Account? OT Support wouldve gotten w/ you by now. Sometimes I ask publicly while submitting a ticket and see who can help first. Its about 50/50 (free vs paid).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back