Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner's Question - Colour re intesity 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonProchot

Technical User
Dec 19, 2001
CA
Could some-one please explain how I can get a reduced colour intensity in the colour palette. I want to use a lighter hue of the dark green I am using. I only seem to be able to get pure colours - not variations of the same colour. How would I get a colour about 20% as dense as I am curently using?

I know there is the command that allows one to lighten up the whole image, but how does one simply just add white to a colour to tone it down?

My system: Photoshop 4.0.1 on a B&W Mac G3/400 with OS 9.2.2

Thanks!

Ron P

Pick your colour so it displays as either the foreground or background colour swatch, then double click that swatch either in the main toolbar or in the colour palette. This will open up the colour picker box where amongst other things you will see a slider that ranges from your colour at the top down to white at the bottom, adjust that. Theres one method...anyone else?

Just noticed you are using Photoshop 4, wow! I hope my answer is still accurate for that version, but I can't say I've ever used 4.

Ronald
If you just want to tone down one color or a shade of a color
then I would use Image-Adjustmemts-Replace Color.
Sample the color you need to adjust, adjust the fuzziness, the
higher the number the more color it samples and changes.
Then just change the lightness, hope this helps.

Thom

The longest jounney starts with the first step.

If you're talking percentages, try it this way:-
Sample your colour with the colour picker. In the 'Colour' tab of the colour palette select 'CMYK Sliders'you will see the percentages of the process colours which make up your green.
Say your green was made up of 100% cyan and 80% yellow (No Magenta or Black). Then type in 20% cyan and 16% yellow. Replace your Intense green with this 20% shade. You can only input whole numbers of course.

Thombathe's solution was dead on what I was looking for. The suggestion made by dimoj I guess only applies to later versions of photoshop, as I couldn't get a bar scale by clicking on the colour swatch in the tool bar of Photoshop 4. I was limited to picking only specific colours, whereas with Thom's solution I was able to vary the colour intensity, which is what I was after.

Thanks folks!

RP

My question continues with Thombathe's instructions on Color Picker. I have a black and white .bmp image open in Photoshop. I want to change the white to beige (FFFFCC). In the Color Picker window I have the exact color I want to replace white with. How do I replace everything white in my image using the color (FFFFCC) in Color Picker?

Thank you very much for any help,
Caryn.

To adjust the intensity of the colors in an image, you can also go to Image>Adjustments>Hue and Saturation. There is a selection box on the left hand side (in Ver 4) for specific colors. You can then intesify/subdue/change any channels's hue and lightness.

There is an EXCELLENT book called "Enhanced Photoshop 4," by David Xenakis and Sherry London. It taught me PS 4, and made 6 and 7 easier to master as well. You can still find copies out on the 'Web, and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone still running 4.

(If you find this post helpful, please click the Thank You star at the bottom, Thanks!)

Change the black and white image to RGB. Make a new layer. Fill this layer with your colour then apply the 'multiply' layer blending mode. Flatten image.

What black and white image???
Rick, are you replying to the same thread?

MadOz. I'm replying to the question by carynbo who has perhaps strayed slightly from the original thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back