Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner's General Cleanup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHunt

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
GB
I have a laptop that's running really slowly, so I want to check it for any nasties. Before I bend the ears on anyone here about it, I took a look in the FAQs and found this:

Beginner's General Cleanup - faq760-4866

There's lots of stuff to do in there, but it hasn't been changed since the summer of 2004. Is it still valid advice? Could/should it be updated?

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

The links may not be valid, or dead-ended, but the FAQ is spot on. To get the software, if the links don't work, use Google.

Some of the software is pretty ancient as far as options go. HijackThis was sold to Trend Micro and the version depicted on the link is ancient as a result. Ad-aware has taken a pretty big hit lately for what's been done to that software, so most I know generally won't recommend it (I wouldn't). You would do better to use AVG Anti-Spyware (which used to be Ewido).

That FAQ sorely needs retired and then updated.

It looks like THoey hasn't logged on for awhile. If someone wants to create an update maybe someone can let the management know that FAQ is outdated.

I would add that CCleaner is essential to the list. Down loadable from many sites like CNet or ZDNet.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Yes I second ccleaner and also disrecommend adaware now due to the new version. Avg anti spyware is good as well. As well as avg or antivir antivirus as both are free.

Eusing is a good free registry cleaner if your into those. Also learning msconfig is a good option to help things run smooth.

Also the basic chkdsk and defrag are good to be run once a month.

I also reccomend using firefox instead of Internet explorer. Im sure many others can add many things to it. Which I think would be a good thing. Get a good collection of post from everyone and then someone make an faq out of it like 2ffat suggested.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back