Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEGINNERS ADVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhch2005

Technical User
May 4, 2003
US
HI.
I am wanting to swich from Windows NT4 To RedHat Linux 8. Here's what I need. The Clients will be Windows (some 95/98 some NT/2k) I need roaming profiles on the windows computers (but i want to use a Linux server) I want System Policies (but again, on the Linux server) I want file sharing (I've heared of Samba) and I want print sharing. I also want to have a proxy server. I have an internet connection that I would like to share. I use Proxy in WIN. I would like you guys to tell me the packages that I need to get. And any adive you can think of that would help me.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Thanx in advance,
Michael

Knowledge is given to the one who asks.

mhch2005,

I applaud you for being open minded enough to want to persue something different. However, the most help I can see you getting here with such a general question like the one you provided would probably be a bunch of links pointing to google search results. Peruse the web and read up on all of the kewl things you can do with Linux. Figure out what you'd like to start on first - and if you have any specific questions, ask here. :)

Good Luck!

---
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Off the top of my head, samba will do all the networking though I'm not sure about the policies (you may need to run poledit on an MS box and copy it up to the linux box manually). Search google for that particular one.

As for a proxy server - piece of cake. However, there's a good argument to run that on a seperate dedicated box. No need for it to be anything special. You could configure it up yourself but there are specific distros that will do this for you out of the box. See the likes of ipcop, smoothwall, astaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back