Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beginner wants to learn SQL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

VickyWinters

Technical User
Jun 6, 2002
US
Hi

I have a web space that contains MySQL. I have no idea of what I am doing. I would really like to learn how to use SQL. My goal is to have a web page that users could access to interact with the database.

I have searched the web for tutorials. Each one seems to pertain to servers except for 1 or 2. As I was going through the tutorial….it told me to download “front-mySQL”. Well initially I thought the tutorial was dynamite(everything was working), however, I found out that this “front-mySQL” is discontinued.

I tried a tutorial with PHP. It told me to put the file in my web space, but when I did…. The “hello world” did not display. I gave up.

Then I bought a book Sam’s SQL, PHP, APACHE thinking that this would start me off……but that too seems to pertain to servers. All I have is a home computer.

Now....I have so much downloaded on my computer that pertains to SQL that I have them mixed up in my mind.

So I am back to square one….

Does anyone have a good tutorial for the very very beginner??? Is SQL only for networks? How does anyone learn how to use this? I managed to create a database & table while login to my web space control panel, but I want to be able to do this without spending hours in my control panel.

Since you all know SQL already…..I was sure you could help.

Thanks
vicky

There is a great introduction to SQL on-line course offered through many colleges and universities in the U.S. The course is called "Introduction to SQL" and is facilitated by Cecelia Allison. I found the course to be quite informative. Ms Allison is very attentive, thorough, patient, and knowledgeable. So far it is the best course on SQL I've seen. I learned a lot and was able to apply what I learned. If anyone is serious about learning SQL and wants a simple approach to learning SQL, check this course out. You can find a school near you at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back