Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEGINNER QUESTION - PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rferrer61

IS-IT--Management
Jul 5, 2001
US
Hi there,
I am trying to build a vb application using access97 with three tables:

- Receiver
- Shipments
- Country

My goal is to have one form with three comboboxes with a lot of fields from the Shipments table where my users will be able to select country and the name of the receiver.

I have built a lot of flat tables using ADO but I have problems with relational dbs and edit, add , update, delete and save controls.

I wonder if somebody at there can recommend a website with samples or have any suggestion about how to get my project done using relational tables with vb.

I am trying to stay away from DAO because we have a lot of users that will be using my db and I read that ADO is more scalable.

Thank you in advance for any recommendation,

RF

hey,

I am a little unclear about what you want to do. When you build a database you have to be exactly correct about what you want to do, otherwise you'll bog it down with a bunch of crap; you won't be able to use it, nor will the user.

This is what I recommend you first do. Figure out the fields that you want. Then re-post with the tables and their fields. We can go from there. I'm not sure why you are so concerned about ADO and DAO. I work in Access 2000 so maybe i don't know about 97 issues.

The database i currently develop at work has about 75 tables, its of course form driven, but in order to get multiple people to use it you just set up a back end and link the tables to the front end; the users can use the front end as a short cut on their desktop or wherever.

Hi,

I use ADO and DAO to connect with an Access 2 mdb without problems! Therefor I use a Data Environment connection. It works very easy and fast. Maybe try this?

Mark,

Thanks for the answer, Here is what I want.

I would like to have the following tables and fields:

Shipment table (this is may Main table)
- Arrivaltime
- Quantity
- Shipping #
- Country (Maybe countryid which if i am not mistaking could be my foreign key)
-Receiver receiverid)

Receiver table
- Firstname
- Lastname
- Employeeid
- Datehired

Country
- countryid
- countryname

I want three forms: Main which would have all the fields on the shipment table and two cbo displaying countries and receivers which the user can select. I wonder if I can update, edit, save... on this form. That's my problem I am not sure how to modify and add new information.

Diel011,

How many users use your db? Don't you get locking errors from time to time?

Thank you guys for the input,

rf

hey if the recordset type you r using is dynaset it will automatically update the thing in the database so no need of worrying for that.. Its nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

You right rohitt!

After doing some research I kicked couple of controls in my main form and hard using jet 4.0 and everything works fine now. The datacombo control made my life easier with the coding. Now I can add, edit, find, find next...with no problem using dynaset, adopendynamic, adlockoptimistic.

Thanks a lot for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back