Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner question about differences between VS 6.0 and VS .NET 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstrain

Technical User
Mar 29, 2006
US
I'm a complete beginner to programming and have started taking an intro to programming course at the local college. The language used for the class is C++, and in the computer lab Visual Studio 6 is used. However, I was able to get a copy of Visual Studio .NET 2005 from work to use at home. Right off the bat I noticed that in VS 2005 I couldn't just open up an existing .cpp file from the lab book's CD and compile/build, like I could in VS 6.

I asked the instructor about this and she said that I can't use VS 2005, and that VS 6 is the version I need.

Can someone explain why this is? Am I overlooking something?

Any help is appreciated.

Visual Studio 6 uses .dsp & .dsw files for Projects & Workspaces. Visual Studio .NET uses .vcproj & .sln for Projects & Solutions. They aren't compatible.
You can easily create your own project and import the .cpp & .h files from your class though.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm still confused as to the which steps to take to get my existing .cpp file imported. All I want to do is open a single .cpp file from the lab CD and compile it. In VS 6 that's only about 2 steps, open file, then compile. In 2005 it's like a maze of solutions and projects and I still can't seem to get it working.

I think I'm going to have to track down a copy of VS 6 somehow because I'm spending more time trying to figure how to do this one step than I am on studying.

Thanks.

A file copied from CD has read-only attribute, off it.
VS 6 creates temporary project when you try to compile a single file. I think, VS 2005 does the same op.
There is a wonderful thing in VS 2005 (and others;): on-line help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back