Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner- Needs sql multi-query help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljsmith91

Programmer
May 28, 2003
US
I am a novice and need some help with this sql query. I have a sql table that contains records of tape media written to, the date written to and whether the media is onsite/offsite and the date it was discovered offsite. It has other fields but these 4 are what is of importance. Sample info in the table is:

Media DATE_Written Offsite Discovered_OFFSITE_DATE
tape01 01-03-2009 N NULL
tape01 01-04-2009 N NULL
tape01 01-05-2009 N NULL
tape99 01-03-2009 Y 01-06-2009
tape99 01-04-2009 Y 01-06-2009
tape99 01-05-2009 Y 01-06-2009
tape33 01-04-2009 Y 01-08-2009
tape33 01-05-2009 Y 01-08-2009
tape99 01-21-2009 Y 01-25-2009
tape99 01-22-2009 Y 01-25-2009

I need to query this table and get a count of media written in month of Jan 2009 and another distinct count for every time a media was sent offsite.

So, in the above sample, 10 medias are written to but the offsite media count would be only 3 medias(not 6). tape99 was written to on 5 different days and sent offsite 2 different dates. I believe there must be some sub-query using that discovery date of counting distinct media moving offsite but I have no idea how to do it.

Any help/ direction would be great. Thanks.

ljs

Is there what you are looking for?
Code:
SELECT 
Media,
COUNT(*) AS TotalWrites,
SUM(
	CASE
		WHEN Offsite = 'Y' THEN 1
		ELSE 0
	END) AS OffSiteWrites
FROM YourTable
WHERE DATE_Written >= '20090101' AND DATE_Written < '20090201'
GROUP BY Media

Hi RiverGuy,

Thanks for the query suggestion. However, I need the totals for the month rather than by media. So I need Output that looks like this:

Total_Write_Count Total_Offsite_Count
10 4

The key is that I want to count the same media as offsite if the discovered_offsite date is different or distinct for same media name. So, in my sample table, my total_offsite_count would end up as 4 and not 6. Is there a query to get at that ?

Thanks again.

ljs

Anyone have a way to query this table and extract media totals when the media and Discovered_offsite_Date are distinct? I'm in over my head. Thanks for any direction/ guidance.

ljs

Hi,

How about this?

Code:
select count(*) as Total_Write_Acount,
(select count(*) from (
  select distinct media, discovered_offsite_date
  from @temp where offsite = 'Y') as t) as Total_Offsite_Count 
from 
@temp 
where DATE_Written >= '20090101' AND DATE_Written < '20090201'

Ryan

RyanEK,

Thanks. I think that may be what i am looking for. However, by using "distinct media" in the inner query, aren't you limiting the times when a media is listed multiple times with different discovered_offsite_dates? I want to eliminate dupe media ONLY when the discovered_offsite_date is the same. How is this accomplised? -ljs

From your table above, what value are you expecting for Total_Offsite_Count? You said initially 3 but changed it to 4.

I'm not sure what you mean in your last paragraph but if you just want a count of how many time "any" media was sent offsite, change the sql to:

Code:
select distinct discovered_offsite_date

Either way, I don't see how your table above can return any value other than 3?

Ryan

RyanEK,

Yes the 4 was a mistake on my part. I am looking for the query to return the value of 3 not 4. Am my question that I admit was confusing let me rephrase. If I use "distinct media", wouldn't tape99 in my sample only count as 1 rather than 2 ? I am looking to count it as 2.

Larry

Larry,

Why don't you try the inner query alone specified by Ryan and see the output matches your requirement. The solution provided by Ryan will returns 10 as total count and 3 as offsite count. As long as discovered_offsite_date used in the subquery, the DISTINCT operator will check that field also before eliminating the duplicates.

Code:
select distinct media, discovered_offsite_date
  from @temp where offsite = 'Y'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back