Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner Needs help with installing/uninstalling 3rd party programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumbis

Programmer
Jun 17, 2004
AU
this is probly a simple answer..

i have just started to make an installation for a program my company is designing.. we need to install 3rd party programs within the install.

what i want to know is how can i install the 3rd party program on the install run, and uninstall it when uninstalling. At the moment, i can install it fine by using "excute file from installed files" however, when it goes to uninstall, all it does is try to install the program again. so where abouts is the option to run file only on install/uninstall?

sorry if this is confusing, i cant really explain it too well.

Wise for Visual Studio.net professional version 5

I'm not very familiar with this product, but I believe it is still an .msi authoring tool. I know how it can be done in Wise for Windows Installer. I am assuming (let me know if this is right or wrong) that you are calling these 3rd party installations from the MSI Script view using a custom action. If this is so, use If statements before launching each action.

For example, only launch the 3rd-party install if your product is not installed and only launch the 3rd-party uninstall if your product is installed:

Code:
If NOT Installed Then
   'Create custom action calling 3rd-party installation here.
End

If Installed Then
   'Create custom action calling 3rd-party uninstallation here.
end

does this code go into execute immediate or execute deferred?

It depends. Do you already know exactly when you would like your 3rd-party installations launched?

If you don't want in in the UI sequence, then place it in Execute Immediate. Execute Deferred is primarily for making changes to the system. Figure out exactly where it needs to be placed and throw it in there. You may have to play around with it, that's almost always involved, so that you know exactly how it behaves.

thankyou, will have a play around, will reply with any other isssues :p

thx for the help

Let us know of the outcome regardless, whether it works or not. That's what helps make these threads most effective for solving problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back