Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner: Configuration of a FC4500

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewitz

Technical User
May 6, 2005
DE
hello i have some experience with a fibre channel products but not with a fc4500 which i got from a company which went bancrupcy.
here my questions
1. Where do i get manuals for the setup
2. How can i connect to the serial port(speed parity stop etc.). do i have the full functionality over the serial port? do i get firmware and license information over the serial port
3. do i need navisphere? where do i get navisphere? what is the price of navisphere?
4. can i connect to the unit with an emulex 8000 directly or do i need a switch?
thx for your help

1. 2. 19.2 8 1 none via hyperterm
You'll need to get into fcli mode to do anything via the serial port connection. Click on the light bulb in this forum and look for info on the 5400 I think.. it covers the hows of getting into fcli. A google search for fcli & clariion may get you more info.
3. Navisphere is a gui interface that makes it easier to manage the array. It is recommended but you can work the clariion without it.
You can direct connect to the emulex.

1. Can i configure everything over the serial port?
2. or can i also use the ethernet port?
3. how do i assign the unit to the hba, on the hba side or on the clariion side?
thx

1. Everything can be configured in fcli (serial mode). I am not aware of any method to get into fcli mode via the ethernet port but you can set Navisphere to utilize that port.
2. The Emulex will discover the Clariion Luns once you have them set up.

There may be additional steps to take to get your particular os to see the drives.

hello
1. i am using windows 2000 or 2003, so i think the emulex software has to handle that. otherwise i will check it with qlogic (i know them better).
2. does the fc4500 support snapshot? how can i determine if the feature is installed?
3. i just wonder what the average price for navisphere for windows is, has somebody an idea?

Win 2k should be no problem as long as the proper drivers are being used. Snapshot should work. Navi price.. no idea. Usually comes with the Clariion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back