Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beginner 16bit assembly, keyboard and display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjikiran

Technical User
Oct 31, 2007
US
Hello, I am a beginner in assembly programming and would like to know if anyone out there could help me with an issue. Currently I am writing a project to which I am drawing a calendar for 3 months. I can easily make a calender on the screen for 1 month but for the other 2 months I run into a problem. Before I state my problem I have a small code segment below just to show a small sample of the type of code I am writing in this type of beginner course as to which that is how the code is supposed to come out as. It is a 16bit program, I understand jmps, push, pop, loops. I was only taught marginally how to use int 10h which consisted of that it just needs to be there for it to work. I was not taught anything about keyboard interaction which the proffessor expects us to magically figure out and after trying and trying I really am stumped.
My question is if anyone could help me write a small program, sort of like how I have below which displays the letter B on the top left hand corner of the dos box, how to save this "page" into memory and use keyboard interaction like say the N key to go foward or the B key to go backwards... say the next page has a the letter N on it for example. I know it is a tall order but I could terribly use an example if anyone can help. Thanks in advance!

Code:
.model small
.stack 200h
cseg segment 'code'
assume cs:cseg, ds:cseg
	start:
			mov ah,0
			mov bh,0
			int 10h
			mov AX, 0B800h
			mov ES,AX
			mov byte ptr ES:[2], 'B'