Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Begging for help on understanding relationships...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemur21

Technical User
Jun 23, 2006
US
Sigh...I feel like I've been through the wringer!

I am using FM Pro 5.5 -- have been trying to get my head around this for a while, and I'm really just beaten down

I am essentially converting over a massive (40mb) Excel spreadsheet into database form. This database contains all the information for my boardgaming group.

I believe I need one db with games (that are owned); one for players; one for sessions. Each of these is set up already, and each has a unique id code (each one starting at "1" and growing incrementally).

From there, the sessions db will allow me to show which players attended. This way, I can track each individual players' attendance, and report those totals BACK to the Players' record in the players db.

The sessions will also show which games were played.

I had set up the games and players as value lists, so I can easily pull down the information and select a player or a game.

I think I need ANOTHER db, that lists all the games played, by date, with the players that played them. Again, the players would be a value list.

From this database, I need to track scores and ratings for each player that played the game. That information is crucial, as it flows into approximately 30 different calculations (again, one for each player).

From there, each players cumulative scores for all games the player played in will be reported back to the players database. Example: if Chris played 5 games, his totals (for the calculations) would be summed and reported back to HIS record.

Additionally, for each game in the games database, each individual's player score/calculation would be retained -- so, if in the group, there were 6 who played Game A, then, 2 who played Game A and then, 3 who played Game A, but the 2 in the second set played all 3 times, it would sum their score, and it would list each player and his overall rating for each game in the specific game record.

I understand - on paper - basically, what I want to do, but I lack the ability to set this up.

I've printed out - close to 1000 pages on many-to-many databases, join files, portals, etc. Nothing I'm doing works. I did find this post on this board:
But, when I try to do what Peter recommends (add a name through the value list to the portal) I get an error that "this field is not modifiable".

I am essentially trying to recreate a standalone program I found here:
But, this is protected (even tho it's free) so I cannot see the define fields, define relationships and layouts.

If anyone could show how the four files would be set up - either with actual files or on the board, you would save me tons and tons of time!!!!!!

I can, additionally, send my files - some of which are merely 'samples' and some of which are my ORIGINAL intent (which used repeating fields and import scripts) to show what I'm looking to do.

Please help....Thanks!

Chris

I understand what you want to do and one thing comes to mind...

Too difficult for a starter in relational database....

You need a throughout understanding what the possibilties and the limits are of relationships, what you can do with it and how to use them. This goes way further than a few posts on a forum.

The goldraven files are based upon relationships, valuelists and advanced scripting.

Going into detail here about the structure is nearly rebuilding the application for you. No time for this.
Besides, it's not right to do it, given the runtime version.

I-m afraid you will have to do a little homework.
Building little files to try out several relational techniques, untill you understand them and after that use them in your final application.

And that the Goldraven application is 'free' means free to use, not free to look behind the screens and use/copy the technique, that's intellectual property of the developer.

Jean,

I don't think you'd understood my question - yes, while it would be great to understand the goldraven application, even a blanket diagram/understanding of how to set something like that up at ALL was all I needed -- it could've been students taking classes at a university. While the information may be 'intellectual property' I'm fairly certain using the tools within Filemaker are not. I've just found woefully little supporting material online or in the program that explained how to set up many-to-many relationships.

However, your later point was valid - through my own trial and error (and error and error and error), I was able to set something up that semi-mirrored what I wanted to do. Now, at last, I have a baseline to work with...

But, in no way was I trying to 'steal/peddle' what had been created as my own. I just find it easiest to learn when I can SEE what's being done - I was able to teach myself a modicum of VBA for Excel, almost entirely, due to the copious amount of examples, etc. on the WWW.

Chris

I was not talking about steal/peddle.

The way tools are used are very developer depending.
You can use a hammer to make a hole in a wall and a hammer to make a statue like Venus.

The developer knowledge is in the way the tools are used.

I don't have problems sharing techniques with users.
I do have problems with throwing specific techniques in the open. Techniques I learned after 15+ years of development.

That's why I too make runtime from some applications. Sharing the use of the technique but not the technique itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back