Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Begginer needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoymas

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
US
Hi guys I'm trying to learn to put code on access but so far I haven't been succesfull. For example I tried to test a couple lines of code to check that a form checks for duplicates if I enter a persons name more than once.
here is the code.
Private Sub State_AfterUpdate()
IfNot IsNull(DLookup("[LastName]", "Customers", "CustomerID=" & Forms!Customers!LastName & "") Then MsgBox ("That entry used,blah..")
End If

End Sub
I get a Compaile error and I do not know how to find out what is wrong.
Thanks

Your first problem is the event you used. You need to use Before Update instead. I use a Dlookup function in all my databases and it prevents duplicates. See if this works. I'm not sure if you were trying to check on just one field to find a duplicate so I used CustomerID. Often I'll use Firstname, Lastname and Accountnumber.

Private Sub State_BeforeUpdate()
IfDLookup("[LastName]", "Customers", "CustomerID=" & Forms!Customers!CustomerID") Then MsgBox ("That entry used,blah..")
End If

End Sub

Hi I wanted to thank you for your response I tried to use the sollution you sent me but it doesn't work because I think I put it in the wrong place I do not get any error message when I put a duplicate record. May be you can tell me exactly in what part of the form code I'm suppose to put it. I have very little experience with code.Thank you for your time.

I put the following code in the "On click" section of a command button on my form to add a record:

If Not IsNull(strX = DLookup("[MedRec#]", "tblDemog", "[MedRec#] ='" _
& Forms!frmMain!MedRec# & "'")) Then
MsgBox ("This record already exists..........)
Forms!frmMain!MedRec# = ""
Forms!frmMain!MedRec#.SetFocus
Forms!frmMain.Refresh
GoTo Exit_Add_Record_Click
End If

It detects the duplicate, clears out the field on the form, and sets its focus forf re-entry.

Just make the Last Name a primary key in the table, or at least an indexed field that does not allow duplicates. Then Access will handle the error checking for you. Mike Rohde
rohdem@marshallengines.com
"If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization!"

Hi thank you for your response I tried the code but I got an error message. I guess is due to my lack of experience.
I copied the entire code on the add record command botton code.Here it isOption Compare Database.Form name is "Customers" and it is related w/ the customers which has the fields (FirsName,LastName,address table, products, orders, order details

Private Sub Add_Record_Click(If Not IsNull(strX = DLookup("[LastName]", "tblCustomers", "[MedRec#] ='" _ & Forms!frmMain!LastName & "'")) Then MsgBox ("This record already exists..........) Forms!frmMain!LastName = "" Forms!frmMain!LastName.SetFocus Forms!frmMain.Refresh GoTo Exit_Add_Record_ClickEnd If)

On Error GoTo Err_Add_Record_Click

DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec

Exit_Add_Record_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_Add_Record_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_Add_Record_Click

End Sub

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search