Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Began receiving ALOT of Spam mail?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekermestrovich

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
I have a user that has just recently been receiving a ton of spam mail. Probably about 100 per day. It happened right after the July 4th. Is there anything that can be done to elimate it. And why did it happen all the sudden.

The user has not signed up for anything that would require him to receive all this spam mail.

It would be an easy fix, but not likely at this time. Any other suggestions? I'm currently blocking the domains and I'm noticing it's only about six domains they're coming from .

There will be more, spammers pass valid email addresses among one another, just wait and see.

You might consider spam blocking software either on the Exchange server (preferred) or on that user's workstation (temporary solution).

As you probably know, if the user sent/sends "remove from list" responses to spam, this frequently validates the e-mail address to spammers and increases the spam.

$20 for iHateSpam. We have a few (executive) users that have been getting a ton of spam. We use Exchange 5.5 and have had good success with it. I previewed about 5 solutions before settling on this one. If the user is really manually dealing with 100 spams a day, it will pay for itself within a week...

Hey,

100 per day.. not too bad.. My account gets roughly 300 - 400 spams a day.

I'm using MailWasher...it is free and keeps my inbox nice and clean.

they do have a pro version, but for just one account, it is free.

regards,
-Peter

Mail marshal sits on another server in front of exchange and does all traffic to the port. About 1600 for the first 25 users and 300-400 for each block of 25 after that. Runs on a nice old PC just fine too!

Just curious, anybody had experience with GFI MailEssentials? It's highly rated.

Yes, we had the horrible missfortune of using that program. While many people say it is fantastic (I'm sure it is for them) It constantly crashed the host machine (at least once a week).

I installed a spam-filter version that merges with Exchange and had similar problems. (You do not want to crash the Exchange server every week! Edbutil & Isinteg anyone?!)

I recommend an old PC (256MB ram, 500MHz, 20GB HD) and some SMTP filter software rather than ANYTHING that touches the Exchange server.

We're having wonderful (luck?) success with a new product called Mail Verdict from a company named Message Gate. It runs on Solaris or Linux between the Internet and your Exchange servers. We're blocking about 150,000 - 250,000 messages a day. Still some getting thru, and we have a few users who publicize their email addresses and get TONS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back