Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFVP41 VPN viewing Network Neighborhood glitch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nja5150

Technical User
Apr 30, 2003
US
Hey guys-

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have set up VPN tunnels for two BEFVP41's. Subnets 192.168.3.0 and 2.0. My machines are all configured static, with the gateways on x.1.

I wanted to selectively use IP ranges for my local and remote groups. However; unless I use the entire subnet for local and secure goups I lose "View workgroup computers" functionality. (My Computer> My network places> View workgroup computers)

Yes, all machines are on the same work group. Yes NETBIOS is enabled, and yes it is active in advanced config for the tunnels.

I've tried everything. I've added a WINS server on the 2.0 subnet. I've even messed with DNS serving. I have used ranges that include the gateways (X.X.3.1 - 3.10) I have used ranges that include X.X.3.0 - 3.10)

I CAN get it to the point where everything is pingable with ip ranges. I can even use UNC names (E.G. \\shootme) which seems to indicate WINS is working fine. But the damn machines won't show up in "View workgroup computers" if I have an IP range set up for my VPN tunnels.

Is this a known glitch?

Thanks for any help ahead of time

Are you networking XPHome and windows 98 machines? I had to add SPX/IPX protocol to the network adapters. Let me know, i'll watch this thred for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back