Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFVP41-to-BEFVP41 - automatic recovery from change of dynamic IP ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtnpsi

Programmer
Sep 18, 2002
US
I'm considering a pair of BEFVP41's. One end will have static IP, the other will have dynamic (and the ISP says it will change periodically).

I want to connect W2K DC's over this VPN, so I need to have some way of automatically (and quickly) recovering from a change in IP address.

Can the dynamic end automatically recontact the static end and get the tunnel re-established?

Linksys pre-sales tech support said it's possible, but so far they've not volunteered HOW.

BTW: the operative word in all this is AUTOMATIC recovery.

Thanks,

David Thom

The way its SUPPOSED to work between a dynamic and static peer is - using basically the same config settings as usual, set the dynamic router's gateway to whatever static IP is at the distant end, and set the static router's gateway IP as ANY. It should then say (this router accepts requests from any gateway.) Also, to automatically reconnect after IP changes, go to the more tab on the dynamic Linksys and check the keepalive box. You can also set any phase 1 proposal you want on this page while you're at it. Shouldn't be necessary using two Linksys routers, though.

Patrick

I've seached the net for the beta firmware that the previous link mentioned for befvp41 problems (1.40.3f) does anyone have a copy or know where it's located
Thanks

Thanks for the link. That's what I needed, the new firmware is now on both routers.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back