Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 won't let W2K box see HP laserJet 5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaw

Technical User
Apr 14, 2002
US
I have 3 boxes running w2k pro, connected through a Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 and the network works. I have aquired an HP LaserJet 5m with a 400n JetDirect internal print server. According to the router and the configuration menu on the printer the router sees the printer at 100 kbs and the printer says the card\ network is ready, but when I try to use the Printer setup wizard in Windows it can't find the printer. The information I got from HP seems to point to the router.
I downloaded HPs install a network printer software and it can't see the printer either. Linksys says it is against their company policy to deal with HP products. I know the printer and card are good. I could not see anything in the Router setup screens that would let a specific mac address pass.(But I could have missed it.)I have been fighting this for two weeks, any help would be appreciated.
Any Ideas as to a solution to this problem?
Thanks in advance.

Can any of the other PC's find the printer?

Can you find any of the other PC's from your PC?

If you've got a firewall on the PC, disable it and see if you can find the printer.

If you're using TCPIP, can you ping the printer from your PC?

Are you sure you have both devices on the same IP network? If not, you may need to add an entry to your HOSTS file that points to the printer.

I don't remember offhand if that router shares a port with the WAN/uplink port. If you've got your internet connection plugged into the WAN port, make sure you don't have your PC or the printer in the shared port.

Try plugging your printer and PC into one of the known working ports on the router.

You may need the NetBIOS protocol enabled on either the printer or the PC.

Try manually setting the connection rates on the PC, the printer, and/or the router to a lower connection rate. Sometimes, "handshaking" doesn't work right between auto-sensing ports. I had this problem with some Dell's connecting to some Bay Networks switches. I got a link light and everything looked fine but the connection either failed right away or would work for a few minutes and then die. It happened no matter what speed or duplex settings I used. After a few days of this, I called Bay Networks and the tech explained that (at the time) there was more than one implementation of auto-negotiation on ethernet ports. Most of the time they worked together just fine, but every now and then you got a mix of devices that were "off" just enough to cause a failure.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck with it.

I don't know, havn't tried.
yes
no
no
added router and printer IP to hosts file
not in a shared port
all ports work
netbios is enabled in computer can't find a reference to it in the setup menue on printer.
Thanks for reminding me about the hosts file.
will try this .
Thanks.

What is the IP address of the printer?

You need to get an IP address on that device, that matches the IP range the router is using.

I'm assuming its 192.168.1.x.

Once that's confirmed, go to add a printer. Choose local printer. Uncheck the autodetech your local printer. Hit next. Hit create new port. Select Standard TCP/IP port. Next through the wizard, and type in the ip address of the printer. This will create the port you need, now just load the driver and that should be it.

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Printer IP = 192.168.1.10
Gateway = 225.225.225.0
No pc's can see the printer but pc's can see each other.
Can not ping printer from any pc.
Followed Matt J.s procedure, to no avail.
Is there sonething about accessing more setup stuff on the printer using telenet?
I do not have any firewalls set up that I know of, unless there is one in the router?
Any other ideas ?
Thanks in advance.

If the TCP/IP printing won't work.Try to install the Print server driver on the main computer.This driver works with 98,ME and 2000.

The TCP/IP Standard Port usually works with XP.I believe that the Print Server Driver is located on the PrintServer Installation Disc.

If installing both TCP/IP and Printserver port won't work.There could be a possiblity that your printer is not compatible with the Printserver.

Where would I find the Print Server Driver?
Thanks

you have to browse the Entire Installation CD of the Pserver,there is this Driver Folder.Look for the Printserver Driver.

This is an alternative option if the Bi-Admin of the Pserver is noo working.

Hang on,

"Followed Matt J.s procedure, to no avail." What exactly happened?

Also, the fact you cannot ping the printer likely tells me that the printer is not physically connected right, or has a bad network card (maybe even a bad port on the router, but that's not likely).

I'd take the printer and one pc (make sure the pc has a static address to match, like 192.168.1.2), plug them into two different ports (or on a different hub would be better). Can you ping now? If not, switch the patch cables. Put them each on a different port. If you still cannot ping, then I think your jetdirect is likely defective.

Questions that also might help...
1. Can you plug a single pc into any port and get on the web? Disconnect move on to the next one. This will test the ports.
2. Do you get a green light on the router when you plugin the printer?

Matt J.

P.S. Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

question 1 yes
question 2 yes
setup pages from printer say IO card is ready.
If i set the printers IP address to one of the other computers IP address and reboot, and remove the the other computer from the network I still cant ping the printer.
Its against linksys co policy to talk about jet direct cards?

Has nothing to do with the Linksys...

"setup pages from printer say IO card is ready."

Means nothing either.

I believe you're looking at your jetdirect.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back