Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFSR41 slows cable connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasSasquatch

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2004
US
Howdy all,

I have a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router connected to a Windows XP Pro box with cable as the internet connection. I have noticed that I have a significantly slower response time to loading pages and sites than if I am not using the router at all. I have upgraded the firmware for the router.

My router is in close proximity to the computer (approximately 2 ft. with about 10 ft of cat 5 from router to NIC. I have about 20 ft worth of cable from router to jack in wall)

Is it possible that the length of my cable is too long and is causing degradation?

I read another post here that was very similar to my problem and it seems that length of cable was an issue...nowhere near 75 ft though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

TexasSasquatch

If my memory serves me correctly, the limit on the length is 100ft before you have to use a repeater. The 20ft section you're using shouldn't affect the speed at all. Remember, your internet connection speed is probably averaging around 1.5Mbps, but your ethernet connection is either 10MB/s or 100MB/s, which is more than enough bandwidth to spare.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

One small correction: max distance "per segment" is actually 100 meters not feet.

Thanks for the replies. I understand about the speed limitations, however, the router shouldnt be causing a slowdown to that degree should it?

Texas Sasquatch...

Gooney goo goo!

If the router has a built-in switch and/or this is the only PC connected, then there shouldn't theoretically be any slowdown. Typically in these cases, the problem is locally on the PC, usually software-related.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

adlantic,

2 things:

1) It is 100 meters for unshielded CAT5 twisted pair.
2) The max distance is no longer the main topic for this discussion.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back