Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

befsr41 slow on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel7

Vendor
Apr 22, 2002
CA
I have a problem that is XP based but im not sure if it is related to my router.

I have a few programs that access a database on a seperate computer. The programs starts up and I have to browse the database for the files to choice each clients data. The problem is its so slow looking for the data 20-30 seconds. after it has found it the program has no problem using the data.

2 workstations both win XP pro
1 server running win98se
linksys router
peer to peer

I have tried to move the data to one of the XP machines but it is still slow..

Programs that are tring to use the data
Adagio (32bit windows program)
Accpac Plus (dos)

When I goto browse network places it quick
When I goto windows explorer and browse the Mapped network drive it quick to...

I Need help

PS when all the machines were running win98se it was really quick

How much data are we talking about? Couple megabytes, a gig?

If you are able to transfer a 50MB file in under 20 seconds, then the problem isn't your router. It is just a switch linking the two pc's. Either the program or the operating system (XP) might be having a difficult time initalizing over TCP/IP or whatever protocol you're using.

Try installing the NETBEUI protocol, if you haven't already. ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

THANKS CDOGG

I have about 300 set of data in about 5 directories
eg.
dir's on server
a-c
d-g
h-l
m-p
q-z
in each directory there are about 60 clients in each
and each client there are about 30 files for each.
Each clients data takes about a 1 meg each so maybe a total of all directory on the mapped drive at to about 300 mb that I have to search through..

what do I have to do after installing netbui
(setting up)

do I have to uninstall tcp/ip :(

No, you can and "should" leave TCP/IP installed. Instead, you may need to change the bindings for each protocol.

Take a look at this document to learn how:
~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Is this similar to do for the two workstations that are running XP pro

To be honest, I'm not too familiar with how to change the bindings in XP. However, you can try searching around on the net as well as posting in the XP forum. I guarantee you'll find an answer there.

But, you'll definitely want to install NetBEUI on all 3 pc's and change the bindings on all 3 if possible. ~cdogg

- A. Einstein

Well I just got back from the Computer and Technology show in Vancouver, With some fresh ideas A tech guy that didnt know of my problem, trusted me when i told him what was happening.

He told me to goto the Win XP cd and copy the Netbeui files from the CD to the correct directories. Goto Network connections and add the netbeui connection, the goto TCP/IP connection properties and go into the advanced tab, goto WINS connection and select enable netbois (not autoconnect) and reset the machine. Then go into the server and do the same (in my case a win98se machine) and reset that machine.
The 98se machine adds the netbeui protocol easily from the cd.

I then tested this out and BINGO it works............................

We have one more machine running XP pro on our network and I did the same thing to that machine and it doesnt work.... Why ME???????????????????

Still trying more.

If this is a bad thing I would like to know more.

Anybody out there know anything with this :(

Still trying to find out why other machine will not get up to speed..

The slow machine is NTFS file format
compared to the other two machines are running fat32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back