Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Before I Leap off Cliff -SAMBA-vs-NOVELL 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbstrider

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
US
I have a working novell 3.12 network with all Win98 workstations. IPX for Novell and TCPIP for Wingate proxy internet connections.
I can ping the RedHat Linux box. But I cannot 'see' it.
If I set up SAMBA on the Linux box, will I be able to 'see' it from win98, map drives to it, and simply use as a server?

Need to make both Novell and Linux work together during transition from Novell to Linux server.
Could save days of learning etc to start out in the right direction. :eek:) Many Thanks

You are basically right - samba will do the trick.
For Win98 WS set in your smb.conf the following values:
encrypt passwords = yes
wins support = yes
Use the IP of your redhat server as WINS server in your TCP settings.
Another option would be to use marsnew (IIRC) to emulate a novell server, but that might be a litte bit complicated ;-)

Hans

Yes - and if you get to single-protocol (ie IP) environment your Windows will run much smoother, but consider using firewall if you dont have one and dont want to share your data with whole world.

While you are initializing your samba - you can keep you NetWare and move away from it slowly

As I remember :
Windows can not do "map root" even to NT servers only to NW
And rewriting login scripts is lengthy process (two years from my first draft NT login script NW is still somewhere here and some of strangest apps are still run by bunch of strangers only on NW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back