Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Beep Codes confusion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

christy2112

Technical User
Oct 2, 2007
GB
Hi All

I have an AsRock k7541gx motherboard with SiS Bios. When the pc turn on it goes beep-beep-beep then repeats endless, anyone got any ideas.

I have removed the ram and still beeps.

Many Thanks

The RAM is probably your problem

Computer POST / beep codes
Quick links
POST ABCs
The steps of a POST
POST troubleshooting
AMI BIOS beep codes
Award BIOS beep codes
IBM BIOS beep codes
Macintosh startup tones
Phoenix BIOS beep codes
Motherboard help

POST ABCs
The computer POST (Power On Self Test) tests the computer, insuring that it meets the necessary system requirements and that all hardware is working properly before starting the remainder of the boot process. If the computer passes the POST the computer will have a single beep (with some computer BIOS manufacturers it may beep twice) as the computer starts and the computer will continue to start normally. However, if the computer fails the POST, the computer will either not beep at all or will generate a beep code, which tells the user the source of the problem.

The steps of a POST
Each time the computer boots up the computer must past the POST. Below is the common steps a POST performs each time your computer starts.

Test the power supply to ensure that it is turned on and that it releases its reset signal.
CPU must exit the reset status mode and thereafter be able to execute instructions.
BIOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
CMOS checksum must be valid, meaning that it must be readable.
CPU must be able to read all forms of memory such as the memory controller, memory bus, and memory module.
The first 64KB of memory must be operational and have the capability to be read and written to and from, and capable of containing the POST code.
I/O bus / controller must be accessible.
I/O bus must be able to write / read from the video subsystem and be able to read all video RAM.
If the computer does not pass any of the above tests, your computer will receive an irregular POST. An irregular POST is often a beep code that is different from the standard one or two beeps. This could be either no beeps at all or a combination of different beeps indicating what is causing the computer not to past the POST.

If you're receiving an irregular POST document CH000607 contains all the steps a user can do to resolve the issue or help determine what hardware has failed in the computer so it can be replaced. If you're getting a beep code the remainder of this page contains a listing of each of the major manufacturers beep codes and what they each mean.

AMI BIOS beep codes
Below are the AMI BIOS Beep codes that can occur. However, because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS, the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code
Descriptions
Document

1 short DRAM refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64K RAM failure CH000996
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure CH000996
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

AWARD BIOS beep codes
Below are Award BIOS Beep codes that can occur. However, because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS, the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code
Description

1 long, 2 short Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) RAM problem.

Award/Phoenix:

1 long 2 short beeps: Video problem - Reseat GFXcard or replace
3 long beeps: Keyboard controller/interface error

AMI:

1 long 2 short beeps: Video Problem - reseat GFXcard or replace...
3 long beeps: CPU HeatSink Fan not connected or damaged...
3 long 3 short beeps: RAM defective
3 long 3 short 3 long: same as above
3 short beeps: Base 64kb RAM issues / reseat RAM + check RAM Timings in the BIOS setup...
2 short 1 long beep: GFX card problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Hi Folks

Thanks for the info.

I have removed the ram from the mobo completely and it is still giving the same beep error code is this correct?

Cheers
Chris

Chris,

when you remove the RAM completely the BIOS is supposed to beep.

A free testing utility is available for download here: Microsoft also used to have a free program but I don't know if they still do.

Test the modules separately, ie if you've got more than one.

TomCologne

Hi Tom

I have tried 3 different sticks of memory and the machine still beeps at me, I am now think that this may be a problem with the mobo/cpu.

What do you think?

Cheers

As it is booting can you get into the BIOS?

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Hi Ace

Sorry to be more specific the machine is turning on but no signal on the monitor and just beep-beep-beep contineous, So I am unable to even get into the bios or anything from the pc.

hth

Chris

Is the video card properly seated? Sometimes you need to push really hard to get it all the way into the slot.

TomCologne

Hi Tom

The graphics are onboard, which again makes me think the mobo is gone.

Cheers

Do you have anyone who could test your RAM?

As the RAM could be defective, through ESD (electro static discharge) ergo wrong handling...

also trying a GFX card to bypass the onboard video...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back