Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE9 build 4175 problems when upgrading from BE8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo02

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
CA
Backup Exec version 9 build 4175
Novell Netware 6 sp3
Adaptec Ultra160 Host Adapter Module 18.20.13 August 28, 2002
Seagate Scorpion Autoloader (6 slot magazine)

Since switching from be8.5 to be9 we have had nothing but problems. In this thread I will outline the series of problems experienced at one site:
1. Will not append backup data to previously used tape - discovered formatting is different, regards the data from 8.5 as imported or foreign, so now when upgrading starting with a new set of tapes.

2. Will restore once fine. After changing tapes in magazine attempt to reinventory, get error NDMP_NO_DEVICE_ERR 16. List storage adapters command shows scsi card and tape drive.

3. Unloading and reloading BE results in error 1056 (timeout)

4. Have to unload scsi driver then reload be to get module to load

5. Was told by Veritas tech when doing a restore with tapes created using 8.5 they would need to be catalogued. Cataloguing tape resulted in error 24617 which is not listed anywhere in the Veritas knowledge base but is listed in News Groups (no solution provided).

Any ideas out there? HELP!!

Our version of Backup Exec is for Netware, not for Windows servers. We do have the latest build for BE9 for Netware. However, I think I have found the solution and it was just posted last night on the Veritas site. Check out TechFile ID 259352.

I am also facing the same error after upgrading to 9...even though as per ur suggestion I upgraded to build 4454 also but still its giving us the problem,....its unable to catlog few of my tapes...its giving error CRC cyclic redundancy check error.... it generates this error first...

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 57665
Date: 7/8/2003
Time: 10:03:33 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CANTO
Description:
Storage device "Ultrium Standalone" reported an error on a request to space to end of data.

Error reported:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

For more information, click the following link:
Data:
0000: 17 00 00 00 d4 fd ff ff ....Ôýÿÿ
0008: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0010: 97 03 00 00 ?...

Then after few seconds it generates this error and fails the catloging job...
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: None
Event ID: 34113
Date: 7/8/2003
Time: 10:03:34 AM
User: N/A
Computer: CANTO
Description:
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "CANTO") (Job: "Catalog 0100") Catalog 0100 -- The job failed with the following error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

For more information, click the following link:

I also tried to go above link but doesn't found any matching answer...

we have 3 backup device (One HP DAT, One HP ULT Standalon single drive, one hp tape library with two inner drives and 20 slots) attached to win2k server with service pack 3. we are using veritas backup Exec 9.build 4454.
could anyone can help me....

regards,

ranjeet sharma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back