Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE10d server rebuilt, can't catalog B2D drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawallace

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2010
US
Hi everyone, I'll try to explain how we have things set up and what has happened so hopefully someone can help.
We had Backup Exec for Windows Server 10d on a system (pcbak) backing up company computers to USB hard drives. Each week, we do a full backup on Friday, then incremental backups Monday through Thursday. The Friday morning, we swap that USB drive with the next drive and so forth swapping through 4 drives (labelled "USB Drive 1", "USB Drive 2", etc). On the 4th week, we put on the "USB Drive 4" drive and another USB drive which we duplicate that last backup to for offsite storage.
Ok, this has worked great for years, but last week the primary hard drive in pcbak failed and couldn't be read so we had to replace the drive altogether. I reloaded the OS (XP Pro) to latest service packs and updates, etc. I then reloaded Backup Exec and installed all of its updates getting it to 10d (we're long since out of maintenance with Veritas/Symantec <thus I'm asking here...lol>). I have set up the USB drive devices as "Removable Backup-to-disk Devices" and recreated all the jobs. It has successfully been doing backups again, so that is great, but the problem is that I don't see all the backup jobs from before the drive failure. Of course, that makes sense to me since it is a new installation and the old jobs would be unknown. I thought I could just Inventory the USB drives and then Catalog them to access the old backups in case I need to restore from them. Unfortunately, while they Inventory fine, when I try to do a Catalog, it says:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

"Catalog 00016 -- The job failed with the following error: Physical Volume Library Drive not found."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And the job history for the failed catalog job says:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Drive and media mount requested: 5/14/2010 1:39:20 PM V-79-57344-33035
Media GUID: {FF54672C-C9ED-4312-BB8D-27531BF6039D}
Media Label: Drive Name: Weekly USB Backup-to-Disk Devices V-79-57344-33035
Physical Volume Library Drive not found.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even though I can do an inventory on it, it doesn't seem to see the drive for cataloging. I have tried this on 2 of the 4 weekly USB drives and 1 of the offsite drives and they have the same error. I'm not positive that I originally had the USB drives set up as "Removable Backup-to-Disk Deivces" but might possibly have had them as "Backup-to-Disk Folders" (if that's even possible); but I think it used to be "Removable..." so I set it up that way this time.

Has anyone seen this? How can I restore backups from these drives from before the drive failure/reload?

Thank you so much for any help! (and I apologize for being so long-winded)

sawallace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back