Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Be warned... well known DL sites gone bad? 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBigBen

MIS
Feb 8, 2003
DE
Hmm, seems like I got their download helper once recently, didn't have any issues though. With another download from same site, I didn't get it... but both were before the 20th when that post was made...

I'll keep an eye out on that one, though, thanks for sharing.

Of course, now I can't remember what machine I used the downloader from cnet on... but it definitely didn't put any noticeable spyware on the machine.. nothing visible that is.. of course, I didn't even think of checking though.... [ponder]

I noticed that the last time I tried to get a CCleaner update that I got something other that the CCleaner file. I didn't open it but got the update straight from FileHippo. I was in a hurry and didn't think to look at the other file again. I will have to watch my downloads now.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Interesting, I downloaded an update to another program from CNet today and I didn't get that other install program, just the update. I wonder if they do it for certain files. or stopped doing it due to the problems mentioned in the article, or consumer complaints, or ? ? ?

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

I don't know, but from what I read in the other Forum and articles linked, I was under the impression that only certain files are affected.

Even with just one file being affected, it is one file too many... and such behavior is in my book, not to be tolerated at all... jmho...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Totally out of order fortunately for me this is a self policing action

As all my machines are Linux in means I cannot use any of these adulterated downloads ( I do need to download windows files for other people).

I wonder if they will see the error of their ways & react accordingly to the bad feedback

Mundus vult decipi decipiatur ergo.

CNET has some FAQs regarding their installer. You can bypass the installer and download directly (FAQ #5) and you can opt out, too (FAQ #9).

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Some observations

1)
if i used this installer it is Add supported, therefore extra data must be being downloaded slowing the transfer & possibly eating into download limits.

2) I do not use a windows PC but often download windows drivers for non technical relatives, therefore an install is not much use to me
2a) I may be downloading on a different machine to the intended destination & the intended machine may not have internet access

Faq 5
Yes. Users who wish to bypass the Download.com Installer may do so via the direct HTTP download URL that is provided below the main “Download Now” button. At this time we require users to be registered and logged in to access the direct download link.

How much information do I need to provide to register?
what is the privacy policy for this data

Faq 9

9. Can I opt out of the CNET Download.com Installer?

Yes. If you would like to opt out of the Download.com Installer you can submit a request to cnet-installer@cbsinteractive.com. All opt-out requests are carefully reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

the important wording here is 'Reviewed on a case by case basis' there is nothing here that says an opt out request will be granted

if the software i am downloading is free from spyware I don't want to be using spyware to download it nothing in this faq states that the installer does not transmit info back to cnet.com

I do not know weather this installer is good or bad but it is enough to ring alarm bells (perhaps I am just paranoid)

Mundus vult decipi decipiatur ergo.

Thanks for the update there 2ffat, but as IPGuru nicely surmised, and to which I wholly agree with, it's still TOO MUCH...

I am sticking with MajorGeeks and other DL sites that do not use such a (nefarious) device...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

A few alternatives offhand:

Thought I'd toss a list out there for anyone who needs a reference to another alternative. I preferred the other sites anyway - at least the first 2 in particular - but used download.com mainly because it had a wider variety... well, maybe not wider than majorgeeks.

Agreed Majorgeeks and filehippo have always been my favorite reliable workhorses.

Everybody is moving toward shoving advertising or bundled software down your throat by injecting it into what you're interested in (web page, download).

I just saw a web page today that made me look at an ad for 13 seconds before it would should the content. I shut that page as fast as I could. I'm not going to frequent sites that aggravate me.

It's only going to get worse. They have to have a way to guarantee captive eyeballs on their advertising or bundled software so they can guarantee their advertisers those eyeballs.

That was one of my posts.

It wasn't my problem that started this post.

Ghostery doesn't fix the "bundled software in downloaders" problem.

Not to beat a dead horse but the security firm Sophos and Nmap creator have more to say on this.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Great thread !

@kjv1611 and mscallisto , thanks for the list of alternative sites.

Having been a download.com user for many years, I can say I'm shocked at their attempt at nstalling a adware riddled toolbar with every installation. There claims that this is to make it easier to install is complete bogus. I

Sadly I'll have to agree with Ben and boycott Cnet now.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

After reading about the problems here and elsewhere, I've been pretty careful about what I'm downloading from cnet.

At home I use OpenDNS without any special settings, and, interestgly, this weekend I got an OpenDNS block page for the entire domain download.cnet.com.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

I think everyone is freaking out a little bit too much. I just checked the CNET site for MBAM and the compared it to FileHippo and they were both the exact same size file, so I doubt anything else is included in that download.

It's always a good idea though to look at the name of the file that you are downloading before ever double-clicking it to install. A name won't always save your bacon, but it's a visual check to see if something isn't as you would expect.

Those that blindly click, download, and execute installers are asking for it, but that would be nothing new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back