Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE v9 Win 2K - Agent Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplebroom

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2000
GB
Hi

We are using Backup Exec v 9 running on a windows 2000 server, backing up five remote agent servers. All was working fine until Wednesday when we applied the Microsoft Blaster vulnerability on the target servers and now the back up does not work...

When trying to connect to the agent we recieve a message box saying "Selection of this item is disabled. You are not authorized to access this item, a license key for Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Server is not installed on the machine or the remote agent is old or incompatible."

We know it is not the licensing and the agent are installed, we have spoken to Veritas support and they are flummoxed as well... Is it just a coincidence or has the blaster patch somehow blocked the agents from working...

We have tried recreating the jobs but obviosly as soon as you try to connect to a server to select the targets we recieve the above error message...

Any ideas greatfully recieved

P-Bro

Have you tried to reinstall the agent and license?

-SQLBill

I am having exactly the same problem.
I am current on Windows update - including the Blaster fixes. I installed the upgraded version of Backup Exec 9.0 and that did not work. Then I completely uninstalled & reinstalled Backup Exec 9.0 including the Remote Client and I am still getting the same error message.

I would love to know how to fix this as well....

We have exactly the same problem.
The BE 9.0 (rev.4454) Server is a newly installed W2k (SP4 blaster-patched) server. We are able to backup other servers with remote agent, but no workstations. No worktations have the remote agent installed.
BE 8.0 on a NT4 server (same hardware) were able to backup the same workstations.

Any help would be welcome.

We fixed our problem. We had to add another license key for the Remote Agent and then it worked.

As far as backing up workstations go, you can back up shared files on that workstation without a remote agent.

Hi ALL

We have a windows 2000 server with Lotus Domino and Terminal Server. We also have the NAV Corporate client installed on the same server.

The backup Exec ver 9.0 Does not backup the Lotus Notes files (*.nsf) and we receive a message at the end of the backup.

OFO: Initialization failed on D:
Advanced Open files options used: veritas volume snapshot provider.
OFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time window for physical volume.

Can anyone tell how to solve this problem?????

Provide

U need to change the minimum quiet time for the backup of that server using the OFO wizard, its under Tools, Wizards.

I would say it is set for auto configuration.

The deafult for OFO is 5 seconds quiet time and it will wait 2000 seconds to get the quiet time before aborting and continuing on without OFO.

What can cause this, is alot of disk activity, like virus scanners, or just generally a busy server.

I just started having the same problem with one of my servers. I'm running BE9.0 4454 on Win2k SP4, the machines are all patched to current levels.

Win2k server, installed the remote agent and it worked fine, even through the blaster patches. Last weekend we renamed the machine (actually we renamed two machines, this onw was "fs2" and is now "fs1" another machine went from "fs1" to "fs3") and now I get the message noted in the first post of this thread. I know I have enough licenses, and I know that the remote agent is installed.

OK, on the remote agent end, when I found this problem, I uninstalled the remote agent, and then did the normal push install from my media server. Oddly, it copied the files just fine, but I kept getting a "path not found" error when it tried to actually run the installer. I was able to manually run the installer on the target machine and it seemed to complete fine and the agent service is running.

As far as I know no new patches were applied to the target server when it was renamed (I wasn't on call for that change).

Stumped.

justin2000

I think I need to change the minimum quiet time on my setup (since installing GFI Mail essentials disclaimer I have getting OFO unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes)
I presume I need to reduce it. If i set it to 1 second, what implications will this have for BE. Will it be happy, or could it cause further problems do you know?
Thanks
Harry

I figured out my problem... Partially on my after a passing comment about name resolution on the media server. The media server is also one of our DNS servers, but the other DNS servers were found to not be properly configured to send secondary updates to it.

So after the target server was renamed, the media server still had the wrong IP address for it. I was able to connect to and select the target server via ip address from the custom selections part of the tree. I also fixed the DNS problem...

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back