Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

be better off reinstalling 98 on top of itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dringer

MIS
Jul 16, 2003
US
I am fixing a pc where a lot of the system files and .exe files have been deleted from windows folder,would i be better off reinstalling 98 on top of itself, rather than trying to establish whats missing and then extracting from the win98 cd?
Would i lose saved data if i did this?
please help

Back up any important data, this is the key because you will lose it eventually if you don't. That said it's worth a try to re-install over the top of what's there, but this dosn't always work too good. A clean install is much prefered.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

Reinstalling on top will be the faster way. But it has the potential of overwriting anything that has been updated anywhere in windows. And you may find that some things don't work any more until they are reinstalled. And that can open up another can of worms.
Extracting individual files will take a looong time.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks guys.
I also have win2000 upgrade cd, would that be worth a try???

dringer - you're back to your original question! (thread616-646941)

As I said there - clean install is best option - and upgrading from a corrupted 98 installation is asking for (more) trouble with the new 2k.

Whatever route you take - if there is valuable data on there, it needs backed up before you do anything. Once that's done, you can try whatever option you like - and if no good, you can just wipe it and clean install either 98 or 2k.

Given the choice I would stay at SE. I have the choice actually, all the way up and I'm mixed 95a and SE now.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks very much. I'll try installing 98 over itself first,
Let ye know how it went.
Tanks

I saw your message on 2000 and have only just seen it here so hope this is of help.

I've had trouble with 98 in the past. Don't know if this will help but if you go into the 98 CD in dos prompt, then into Tools, then into Sysrec you will find a file called Pcrestor.bat. Click on it and follow the instructions. It should restore most of your original settings 98 loaded at the beginnig without upsetting your programs too much. I did find it altered some tweaks I did but was able to re-do them. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back