Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE and Robotic Library Tape Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberprog

Technical User
Sep 30, 2009
GB
Hi All,
I've setup a backup exec server recently with a dell pv132t autoloader. Got it to inventory ok, and it'll run a backup to a tape (having added the media to a media set) but I can't work out how to make it backup to a different tape each night, before overwriting them when it runs out of blank tapes. At present it seems to backup to the same tape each time! I imagine, once it fills that tape we should move onto the next one, but as it'll probably take ~10 backups to fill the tape at current utilisation that's not ideal!
Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried setting the append period on the media set to an hour, but that stopped the system from picking any tapes.
This is BE12.5 on a 2008x64 box by the way.

Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media
Telecoms, Networks, Hosting, Alarms, CCTV etc.

Right, worked out where I've gone wrong, instead of loading all the tapes into the media set they should be left in Scratch Media first and then BE will pick them out individually and assign them to the media pool, and use them in order of assignment with overwrite dates set accordingly. 0-hour appends prevent tapes being appended to, so instead it will always overwrite a backup.

Alex Threlfall
Cyberprog New Media
Telecoms, Networks, Hosting, Alarms, CCTV etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back