Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.1, W2k3, Backup jobs fail without error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speridal

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
DE
Hello there!

I have a strange problem with our W2k3 Backup Exec 9.1 server. I've installed the new server two weeks ago and applied all available Hotfixes and Patches. I have to backup 5 servers to an ultirum tape library with one drive. I do a backup to disk for the remote servers and then copy the backups to tape.

During the week I make differential backups and on Friday a full backup. The first week everything worked fine but after that I got strange problems.

Each day one or two backup jobs fail. Each time different ones and the backup logs are empty! I don't get an entry in the windows event log and the backup execution time is 0 seconds.

Only a few jobs create a log (which is only shown as text-log) where it says "out of memory". The server has 2 GB of RAM so this should not be the problem.

I have no ideas what to do next.

Thx for your help!

Check the alerts tab and alerts history in Backup Exec ? Are there any alerts or job failures?

I have only one error in my alert tab.

"Unable to allocate memory" during a copy job of my backup to disk folder to tape.

The other errors generate no alert message, no log and no windows event log entry.

Okay. Since three days only a copy job that I make after the backup to disk fails with

Error a00084c4:Unable to allocate memory.

I used perfmon to monitor memory usage and there was a minimum of 1 GB of free memory available during backup.

Could the virus scanner (Trendmicro ServerProtect) be the reason for the error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back