Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.1 - How to..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooma

MIS
Apr 7, 2002
I'm new to BE. What I'm trying to do DAILY is:

1. Backup 20 servers to a individual DAILY folder by SERVER on a NAS. These folders would be overwritten weekly. So on the NAS you would see:
D:\MONDAY\SERVER1\DATA\...
D:\MONDAY\SERVER2\DATA\...
D:\TUESDAY\SERVER1\DATA\...
D:\TUESDAY\SERVER2\DATA\...
D:\FRIDAY\SERVER1\DATA\...
D:\FRIDAY\SERVER2\DATA\...

2. Daily as the data gets copied to the NAS folders, once complete start the LTO-2 tape device to start pulling all the NAS folders to tape.

Is there anyway to accomplish the above with one job? or am I looking at running individual jobs for the file back up then another job for the tape back up.

Any advice would be helpful. If my backup theory is wrong also looking for any overall advise/comments.

Thanks in advance!

Kooma

If you want them to go to different folders for every server and everyday, you will need to create a backup to disk folder for each.
You will then need to create a job for each server, pointing the backup to the correct backup to disk folder.

Also create a media set with the following settings:-

Append Period - 1 hour.
Overwrite Protection Period 6 days.

Have the jobs overwrite the media always.

Then you will have to create duplicate jobs for each of the backups to run after the actual backups to disk have happened.

What is the optimal way to create and maintain backup jobs like this?

And what happens when your Backup media server is down and you need to rebuild all of this all over again?

This scares me and I suppose my life will be miserable, if I need to do this from time to time.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back