Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.1 and multiple libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbud

MIS
Jun 7, 2002
US
I have an issue similar to this:

We have recently added a second library. All of the jobs are targeted to the default drive pool: All Drives (MediaServerName).

What I have found, though, is that once a job starts using a tape drive and media in one library:
1. it will NOT switch to the other library if it needs more media and there is no more media in the current library
2. it will enter the 'Queued' state and begin prompting for media insertion.

Is this correct behavior for Backup Exec 9.1?

Similarly, jobs targeted to the All Drives pool will use the first library that is available. This is problematic, since it leads to increased media consumption. The job may have an available piece of media in the appropriate media set in one library, but will, instead, use a piece of scratch media in the other library, if a tape drive becomes available in the other library.

This has led me to target jobs to specific libraries.

Can anyone propose a solution to this (I'm not certain that new drive pools or partitioning are the solution)?

jbud

yes this is correct behaviour.

A job will only use 1 drive per job- the one it first uses - so if the library it is in, runs out of tapes it can use, it will ask for more.

What you are going to need to do is specify which libary/drive you want each backup to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back