Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 10d to BE 2010 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDCSYS

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2007
US
BE 10d is currently running on this 2000 server with the tape drive. Purchased BE2010 R2 in order to back up all servers and computers running from WIN 2000 sever, WIN 2008 server stanard, XP stations, Vista work station (Laptop), and WIN 7 work station.

Is there a way to save all the settings currently on 10d,including account that was assigned to login and back up current computers, and connection between this server to the tape drive? I am pretty sure I cannot upgrade from 10d to 2010 directly, but can I do clean install 2010 on the same 2000 server to run backup on 2008 severs and win 7 or do I need to have at least 2003 server in order to do that?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

BE 2010 R2 is 64 bit so you need to ensure that your server is capable of running a 64 Bit OS like Win 2008 R2.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

its is both 64bit and 32 bit. Both version on DVD

Allen White MCSE,MCSA,MCITP,MCTS,CCA,CCSP,VCP
IT Problems? the fix may be here

You are correct my mistake, you will need the 64 bit version if you are going to backup Exchange 2010.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

>I am pretty sure I cannot upgrade from 10d to 2010 directly

Correct, there is no direct path from 10 to 2010; you need an interim installtion of version 11.

Full details here:
>Can I do clean install 2010 on the same 2000 server

Sadly not. Backup Exec 2010 (media server, which is what you are asking about) has some prerequisites that W2K cannot meet. Lowest supported Windows OS is Windows 2003

Thank you for the inputs, I do have both the 32bit and x64 versions on the disk.

I just spoke to tech at Symantec and was told I need to clean install 2010 R2 (if I don't need to save the settings)and I need to upgrade my 2000 server to at least 2003 before I can do that. The tech also said I can save the setting by going to 11d first then go to 2010.

Funny thins is, the tech told me that the minimum requirement to run BE 2010 R2 is actually XP Professional Workstation (not even server), I am not sure how does that work. I wondered if I run BE 2010 R2 on XP Pro, will I be able to back up all the servers and computers which running 2008 servers, 2000 servers, WIN 7, Vista, and XP workstations?

If I can do this, I don't need to spend money to upgrade the 2000 server to 2003 or 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back