Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDE/Paradox: Multiuserdatabase access on Vista => application hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxone424

Technical User
Sep 28, 2009
US
Mxone424 (TechnicalUser)
29 Sep 09 9:14
Summary:
A BDE-App (written in D7) is used on several client computers, all clients access the same database. The database files are on a VISTA-machine, clients are also VISTA
Problem: On first Client, the app starts normal, on the second it hangs on this line of code, where for the first time, a table is opened.

Anyone seen something like this, or any ideas? For hints, I would be very thankful.
Who knows, what exactly the bde doies on the PDOXUSRS.NET file?
I have made a demonstration app. ( BDE must be installed separately) that I can send you

I know that I should get rid of the BDE, already working on it, but I need to bridge the time until this is done with a workaround.
The app must run on customer systems (XP, VISTA). I'm NOT interested in suggestions like:
Get rid of BDE, Run your app in a virtual machine, use Novell or windows 2003 as file server.....

Details:
* The problem occured, when the database files were located on a VISTA Computer. I tested Ultimate, business and 2008 Server. Access to files via explorer (New file, edit file...) works without problems,
* everythin works fine with data files on X or 2003 Server, or Novell
* PDOXUSRS.NET is located in a central folder on the Vista computer, path is given via UNC and is the same for all clients
* the well known oplocks-disable settings have been carried out on all computers, and checked via bdechecker
* on first client, app starts normal, on second one it hangs on that lines that tries to open a table (exclusive=False) for the first time. I've made a test app to show the problem
* on a XP Client I saw the error message: „Exception. Network initialization failed. Lock Time out. File: PDOXUSRS.NET. Directory: < path of PDOXUSRS.NET File >"
* randomly, on Vista Clients I saw the error message: „Cannot lock network file. Operating system network error. File: PDOXUSRS.NET. File"
* I tried with and without UAC, no difference

I suppose: If BDE tries to get a special share access to the pdxousrs.net file, it fails if the file is on a Vista Computer

I saw someone had this exact same problem on here. When i clicked on the link to see the solution the link was dead. Can anyone please help.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back