Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDE, local SQL, Paradox tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

pencheff

MIS
Apr 22, 1999
US
I have a multi user database program written in D1 that I'm recompiling in D3. The program uses local SQL against several Paradox tables. The master table contains about 17,000 records. The D3 compiled version runs much slower than the original 16 bit version. How do I (or _can_ I) speed this up. Response time is absolutely horrible.

When we built our first prototype using Delphi, we used Paradox files and TTables and had really fine performance. When we upsized the product, and moved to an Oracle back end, we had miserable problems with the TTables (performance and otherwise) and ended up replacing them entirely with TQueries <br>
<br>
Since then I have tried to make a downsized version of our product, going back to Paradox tables. In my experience, we were unable to make Paradox tables and local SQL work with reasonable performance. The software worked exactly as expected thru the BDE, but the performance was completely unacceptable. <br>
<br>
After much soul searching, we were forced to give up the Paradox tables and use Local Interbase. This introduced some logistic problems in terms of additional installation procedures, and licensing of Local Interbase, but the performance is excellent.<br>
<br>
The rule of thumb around here now is, if performance is important, use SQL only with SQL database servers, and use TTables only with local data files.<br>
<br>
Just my experience,<br>
<br>
Cole Davisson<br>
Orion Microsystems, Inc.

Thanks Cole. I've been slowly coming to the same conclusion. Unfortunately the licensing cost of Interbase or any other true Client Server database package that uses SQL is prohibitive in this instance. I found a very inexpensive C/S database package from TurboPower that has NO licensing issues or costs, but it doesn't use SQL. Too bad.<br>
<br>
It appears that my only option to increase the performance characteristics of the app is to rewrite it using TTable components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back