Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDC/PDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmandiaz

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2001
US
I had BDC running in one office it was working ok. Until I re-located it to a different office. The problem that I'm having is that it's not syncing with the PDC. I get the error message "NETWORK PATH CANNOT BE FOUND" I've tried re-name it and changing the properties on the netlogon.chg but I've had no luck. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance

-JM

The error message suggests that there's some connectivity problem. Check your cables, connectors etc on the new location. Then try pinging the PDC. Is the BDC active in Server Manager?

Please don't do things like renaming the BDC and changing properties of system files. Keep one eye on the connectivity and the other on event logs on the BDC and you'll find the solution, hopefully.

Mubashir

Did you have to change the IP address of your BDC ?
Can you ping the PDC ?

Maybe you can try to re-apply the latest SP Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Hi guys,

I don't think it's a connectivity. I can ping to my PDC and my other BDC's and visa versa. The BDC the I'm having problems with was active on server manager for about 20 minutes. but when it was active I could not sync it with the PDC. The IP's did change when I transported it to the new location but like I mentioned earlier I can still ping to it and it can still ping to the PDC and the other BDC'S.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

-JM

Is there anything showing up in event viewer? - Bill

"You can get anything you want out of life, if you'll just help enough other people get what they want" - Zig Ziglar

try to use a lmhosts file, or implement WINS on both servers (both PDC and BDC)... it will make the difference... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

on pdc

server manager

remove the bdc from domain

go to network properties of bdc and select to join your domain..

rejoin

Hey had that Problem before , sometimes the Nic is not working ok, and you can still ping but will not do file transfer or Sync, so if you have an extra NIC try to replace it, also you can update the NIC driver or remove and rejoin the BDC to the Domain. Good Luck!!

Are you going thru more routers/switches now?

Is it possible to move the BDC back to it's last physical location with the current IP address to prove the issue is not related to physical networking...?

If it works again then look into network cabling, routing, gateways etc....

If not then must be related to IP settings or NT permissions.

Ive also had problems with the NIC that will allow a ping and indicate activity but it actually is not working. If there's not a router problem, replacing that nic might work.

Hi guys,

I've tried all of your suggestions from removing it from server manager and re-adding it to re-name it. I also tried adding WINS to it. The only thing i have not tried is replacing the NIC's the reason i did not try that before is because i was able to ping my other servers and pc and visa versa. I'll try replacing the NIC'S see if that does the trick.

Thanks

-JM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back