Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDC not able to see Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandondaly

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
GB
I have a PDC and a BDC, the BDC was resently moved from the LAN and transfered to a new site.

It's been programmed with a new IP address, and can still ping the PDC, and access files on it. But it claims that it cannot contact the PDC in Server Manager/User Manager.

Any ideas on what to check?

Cheers.

What can you see in the PDC's or BDC's event logs? Any error messages?

Andy Leates MCSE MCP+I

There are a few errors.

1. The windows NT domain controller for this domain could not be located
2. No windows NT domain controller is available for domain NAME_DOM. (This event is expected and can be ignored when booting with the 'No Net' hardware profile) There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
3. The Browser has forced an election on the Network

There are a lot of message stating that there is domain controller available.

try this:

on the bdc: stop the netlogon service
on the pdc: open svrmgr, and this do a full sync on that bdc. If the pdc starts the netlogon service of the bdc then everything sould be fine. If not you will have to further investigate.

How long was the BDC down?

Also, make sure that the BDC and the PDC have the same time and date.

Tried stopping the netlogon and resyncing the domain as per above. No effect, nothing is even written into the event log. BDC was down for around 2 days.

you need to be able to resolve the NBT name for the domain.
do you have a WINS server configured?
can you reach the WINS server from the remote site.

If no WINS configured then configure your lmhosts file with the address of the PDC and domain name so that the name can be resolved from the remote site.

regards
Gary

I've got WINS configured and its working fine, both the PDC and the BDC can access each other via host name.

Although you can ping each server, the domain controller entries in wins could be incorrect. Search wins for the domain name and make sure that the old address is still not present. It should be a [1bh] entry. Refer to microsoft article Q259216.

No effect, nothing is even written into the event log...

Did the pdc start the sync of the bdc, and if not then what error were you givin.

I would agree that there is a WINS issue here. I would remove the BDC from all WINS servers then reboot the BDC.

Can the PDC ping the BDC by name? If so, what IP address does it return? Check WINS, and make sure there are no static or tombstoned entries for the BDC with the old address attached.

I ever experienced this before. When I blocked some port on router, this problem appears, then i reopen those port, PDC and BDC can synchronize and can be managed from BDC. Another problem i face is, when i blocked again those port, PDC and BDC still can synchronize and can be managed from both sides for certain hours, after that, can't be managed again but still can synchronize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back