Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDC becoming a PDC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
If you have say 4 WinNT Servers in your network and one is the PDC and the others your BDC's.

With this scenario, if something were to happen to your PDC and it was down for an extended period of time, would the next in line BDC make itself the PDC?

If so, why (I am guessing it is a replication issue needing a PDC to send the SAM out to the other BDC's), and if this is so, if I take my PDC down for a while should I make sure ALL the other servers are down as well??

Thanks
Chance~

it will not promote it's self automatically
if it's down for a long time then you can promote another one but dont bring the pdc back in

you wouldnt turn the others off

If you're just talking about authentication, your users will authenicate through your BDC if the PDC is down. You don't need to promote it. If you check the event viewer, its a good chance some are authenticating to the BDC anyway.

Just make sure you BDCs and PDC are synchronizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back