Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50b supporting COT lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firebird Scrambler

Programmer
Apr 7, 2003
GB
Hello Guy's

Silly question as I think I know the answer, I'm assuming that it's not possible to use analogue COT lines on a BCM 50b?. I've had a faulty BCM 50 and have migrated the keycodes onto a spare BCM50b.
Analogue COTs were already licenced for 2 lines and yet I can see them on the BCM 50b in the keycode section.

However I can only see BRI trunks for lines 61 to 64 in line data, whereas on the BCM 50 it would have been analogue COTS for 61 to 64. I'm guessing that you can't use COT's. I might try removing the BRI card inside the unit and power it up to see if I can revert it to accept my 2 COT's?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I believe it would work to move the hardware from 50 to 50 b and vice versa.

Let us know.

Never tried it, always thought it wouldn't be possible.

However try removing the BRI board from the chassis it might enable the analogue. You might get lucky :)

Check this:

BCM50b
The BCM50b Main Unit provides functionality similar to the BCM50 main unit. The difference is
that the BCM50b main unit has two integrated BRI ports that replace the four analog lines on the
RJ-21 telephony connector.
• new CSC with integrated BRI in place of integrated GATI
• keycode BRI ports

Saludos..

JLMT//

Hello guys

Here is what I've found. My old BCM 50 was originally keycoded for release 1/2. Here are the licences below.

# Fax Messaging
220 1
# IP Client seat
218 8
# UM seat
208 5
# VoIP GW Trunk
206 2
# VM seat
202 8
# Exp Port
118 1
# Int Digital Sets
117 12
# Int Analog Sets
116 4
# Int Analog Trunk
115 2

You will see that I have 2 analogue trunks. The new BCM 50b was originally a release 3 version. I had expected the migrated keycode to fail when I used it on the release 3 hard disk, but it didn't!.

Normally you can't use a BCM 50 V1 or V2 keycode on a release 3 hard disk. Anyway I've checked in the alarm table and the keycode is valid. Because the keycode isn't licenced to accept BRI trunks, you would expect there to be no physical lines available?.

I have BRI lines 061 to 064 available to use, yet the keycodes do not shown any BRI trunks available.

i.e.

ACTIVE VM seat 8
ACTIVE UM seat 5
ACTIVE Fax Messaging 1
ACTIVE VoIP GW Trunk 2
ACTIVE IP Client seat 8
ACTIVE Int Analog Trunk 2
ACTIVE Int Analog Sets 4
ACTIVE Int Digital Sets 12
ACTIVE Exp Port 1
IDLE Fax Overflow 0
IDLE Fax on Demand 0
IDLE Fax Suite 0
IDLE VPIM/AMIS 0
IDLE Q.SIG 0
IDLE MCDN 0
IDLE DPNSS 0
IDLE LANCTE Seat 0
IDLE NCM BCM50a/e 0
IDLE NCM BCM50 0
IDLE BRI Loop 0
IDLE BT RACE 0
IDLE SRG 0
IDLE SRVBL IP Client 0
IDLE Upgrade 0
IDLE ICC Agents 0
IDLE MMedia ICC 0
IDLE ICC 0
IDLE ICC Skillset 0
IDLE ICC Reporting 0
IDLE SIP GW Trunk 0
IDLE SIP Devices 0
IDLE MeetMe 0
IDLE Activity Reporter 0
IDLE APP Pack 0
IDLE NCM T&B BCM50a/e 0
IDLE NCM T&B BCM50 0

It would appear that there is a bug in the keycode delivery for BCM 50b units in that licenced analogue trunks will activate BRI trunks instead.

I thought I would try and be clever in removing the BRI card that only has 3 screws connectiong it with the motherboard and hoping to use the analogue trunks after I powered it up, only to find that I had no physical trunks at all.

The conclusion is that you may migrate from a standard BCM 50 to a BCM 50b with analogue trunks, but they aren't going to be much use to you as you have to have BRI trunks, which will be visible even if you don't have any lincences for them.

Anyway the main reason for all this hassle was that I have a customer who we can't access the BCM 50b using the on board dial up modem. We have replaced the complete BCM and have found out it's never worked from day one.

Since then we have discovered that another customer we have also has the same problem. However a third customer with a normal BCM 50 and a 4 port BRI module is fine for accessing.

I was hoping to try out the on board modem via an analogue trunk to be sure that the modem itself is OK. Although the modem answers, we can't estabilish a call even after trying different speed rates, modems etc.

I'm wondering if the only access is going to be via a ISDN 2 to BRI call rather than a 56K to BRI one that is OK for all other BCM systems.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back