Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoothirteen

Technical User
Apr 2, 2010
US
So I have a question. I just got a BCM50 and did a level 1 reset. I'm not sure what I'm doing really but how to I access it to set it up? I have tried every port on the front of the unit and no luck. I have tried all the default ip's 10.10.11.1, 10.10.11.2 and 192.168.1.2 and no luck. Can somebody please help me out. Thank you so much!

Connect to the OAM port which has dhcp enabled. The BCM will give u an ip address. Open up element mgr which u should have on your pc. the OAM port is 10.10.11.1 by default.

When I plug into the OAM port on the BCM is does not give me a ip. Also I don't have the element mgr on my computer. I have tried to find a download on the internet for it but can't find one anywhere. Sorry for being a pain. Really new to the whole BCM thing.

Are the BCM LEDs green?

Do a level two reset which will bring it back to factory default and will wipe out keycodes etc. Once complete try the OAM port again.

Your best bet maybe to call your interconnect or telco in order to install and program it.

it's been a while since i have done this so i may have it a bit wrong...

first i would change your PC/laptop IP address to 10.10.10.2
then connect using a ethernet cable to LAN 1
open up the internet browser and in the address bar type 10.10.10.1 hopefully this will give you the front screen, then go to administrator applications ( i think ) and download Element Manager.

if that works.. remove the cable, change your IP address on your pc/laptop to 10.10.11.2 and connect to the OAM port, that is the first port from the left hand side.then go to start/programs/nortel/and run element manager, if that works you will then need to create a new connection,at the top you will select network/new network element, you will then be prompted for an IP address enter 10.10.11.1, login is nnadmin password is PlsChgMe! (uppercase P C M )i think thats about it...
give that a go and post back

Gibblett:

When connecting to the oam u don't need to put an ip on your laptop. The oam gives u an ip.

I tried to connect my laptop to the OAM port and it tries to pull a IP but does not. If I do a level 2 reset I will lose everything. I do have all the keys to enter in the bcm again. How hard is it to do this? I don't know phones systems all the well, Please let me know.

Dasheen

i know that u don't "need" to change your IP address but i find it easier to do it that way and it is good practice if you are unsure why you are unable to connect to the BCM.... i have had times when getting an IP address automatically didnt work but changing it manually did.

Voodoothirteen did u change the IP address on your laptop ????
are you familier with how to do it ???

you must also change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

I tried to do that and nothing. It gives me a weird IP 10.0.1.238 and gateway 10.0.1.1 I tried to access that gateway and no go. I think it's the configur from the last person that used it. I know for sure I'm doing a level 1 reset I pressed the button followed the lights and it worked. So what do you think about doing a level 2 reset? I know I have all the key codes. Is it that hard to setup again? I wouldn't think so.

have you tried setting your laptop to 10.0.1.239 try that and see what happens also set the gateway. but i agree looks like somebody has changed it sometime so a level 2 would reset it back to day 1.

no it is not hard to do... there will be a lot of support here for you. what sort of setup will you want, will you have PRI or BRI for your trunks, it will be good practice for you to attempt this... do you have the setup manual ????

To be honest I really don't know the difference between the two. PRI or BRI. What I want is to set this so all the phones will work and also be able to get on the internet vm you know the standard. Also I found a manual on the internet so I'm good there. I think I'm just going to do a level 2 reset and hope for the best.

When I did a level 2 reset I was able to get into the system! Great!

So i have set it up and tried to enter my key codes and its not working. I selected the feature and entered the key code but its not working. I'm not sure what the sequence number should be. I have the authorization number label and key code. What should I do from here?

upload the key code file if it's on your pc. If not go to the nortel site's krs page to get it. u must be an authorized dealer to do so tho.

Hmmm I don't have it on my computer. I did however have the keycode numbers all writen down from when it was done before.

my BCM50 keeps messing up my network, i have it plugged into a router and then the router is plugged into a switch, after the weekend the bcm will take over the network and throw out the routers ip LAN addresses. I've determined its the bcm with multiple troubleshooting trials. I unplug the bcm for a bit (reset the router and switch) then plug the bcm back into the router and the network will work, fine I've turned the dhcp off the BCM router. Anyone have any suggestions?

Turn off the DHCP service in the BCM then you should not have competing server trying to hand out dhcp licenses

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back