Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 Won't Boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigSteve1968

Technical User
Feb 12, 2009
GB
Hello all,

Both lights are solid yellow when power applied and after about 10 seconds the status light goes solid red. Cannot communicate with unit.

Took hard drive out and found a file named vmlinux.CSC.14 and nothing else (about 1MB in size), can open it OK.

Power supply section is giving out 12V, 5V, 3.3V and 1.5V.

Using an oscilloscope, I can see initial activity around the 4 SDRAM chips and on the FLASH ROM chip for several seconds, then this stops and the status light turns red.

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks.

I had this problem... performed a Level 2 reset and then replaced the hard drive when the system was stuck in a endless loop. Check your sata connections as well.

NTL555

Thanks for the reply, but the machine doesn't get far enough to perform the reset, all activity on the address & data lines cease after around 10 seconds and pressing the reset button doesn't change that.

Do you know what files I should be able to see on the hard drive? I'm of the opinion that either the HDD is not booting, or there is a problem with the FLASH or SDRAM.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Start with the HD. It's the simplest thing to replace.

Did you swap the power supply out? I know that seems an unlikely source but bad power supplies can some times cause some pretty funky activity.

Thanks again guys;
curlycord, already seen that thread and several similar, the led's act exactly as follows:-

power up - both led's are solid yellow for about 10 seconds, then status led goes solid red, nothing else happens after this, any connected phones appear dead from power-up. unit doesn't try to reboot or anything, just sits there. All activity on address and data lines stop when status led turns red.
This is why i'm thinking along the lines of HDD failing to boot, SDRAM or FLASH fault. Another possibility i suppose is if the DSP has failed and the processor is awaiting a response from it, though i would expect a time-out and some other activity if this was the case.

mstrfixit; We have tried another supply and it made no difference.

MagnaRGP; I know where you are coming from, i've seen a lot of posts on various forums about these HDD being a problem, but we would like to rule out other possibilities first before spending so much money on a replacement HDD.

Thanks again all.......

Do you have a Nortel Hardware Advanced Replacement support and a good backup off the BCM? You will get a new BCM in 4 hours or so.

If this was a brand new unit, treat it as an out of box failure and send it back to Nortel.

No we don't have Nortel Hardware Advanced Replacement support, we are a company that repairs all makes of systems, for installation / maintenance company's.

We do have some support from these companies but quite limited, we mostly manage to 'work out' what to do as we have plenty of experienced peronnel, but none that have done much with Nortel before.

Thanks again.

BigSteve,

What city are you located in? Someone from here would probably come out and help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back