Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 w/i2004 over internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMWB

Vendor
Jan 27, 2005
US
Customer has a new BCM50 and would like remote users in far cities to have VoIP access to BCM over internet. Their data network is using Hamachi for VPN, but I've been told it won't support VoIP.
I'm guessing VPN routers supporting VoIP and QOS, but am looking for ideas, documentation, equipment suggestions,etc. And is this too many hops from BCM to remote i2004?

1. As long as you are connecting to the office via VPN then VoIP "should" work as the traffic, typically when a router says "won't support VoIP" its in reference to H323 or SIP protocals. Again, there is always exceptions.

2. Keep ing mind here is no QoS over the internet, QoS on the router will ensure your voice packets get our first, but then its a fre-for-all. However, it is still an important feature otherwise your web-surfing will kill the phone quality.

3. VoIP uses UDP packets and is "hop sensitive". If your "ping times" are too long in any direction then you will loose speach paths. This is also how some ISP block VoIP by "delaying" UDP packets.

Your design decisions will be based upon your setup and number of users. Simple design is to use i2050 softphones after connecting through a contivity client, as long as the remote router allows IPSec passthru then you'll be good to go. If you want to setup "hard"phones then you need to setup VPN routers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back