Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 version 7.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldondon

Programmer
Sep 19, 2013
US
Does anyone know if AVAYA will be releasing any updates in the future for the bcm50? Thanks

BCM 50 and 450 systems have now been replaced with Avaya's IP Office version. I did hear that the IP Office released a version (Might have been 7.0?) that allowed customers who had BCM phones to work with the IP Office system.

As far as I know BCM 50 and 450 systems development have been used on the E-Metro range and I understand that it's a very good product.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Release 6.0 was the last major version for bcm's avaya to issue updates till oct. 2015.

Such a shame, imagine what they could have achieved by now if they had not died. From my research it looks like Nortel was a pretty well known worldwide company. So much so that their logo seems to have been very recognizable. In later years you see just the logo and no name on their products, buildings and literature. That says a lot.

How could such a well know and beloved company make such a mistake.

I wonder if AVAYA will be able to fill their shoes. Seems like CISCO is the known name these days, they are very visible but seem to lack quality.

Nortel was more then just a well known name, they totally dominated the telecom world throughout the 80s and 90s. I can remember installing at least 3 systems a week for which seemed to go on for years and years. We couldn't install the Norstar systems fast enough, Ahhh the good Ole days. It's amazing when you revisit a old customer from back in the day and you see your Nortel system still up on the wall purring away ( 15 years later). I'd like to see a Avaya IP Office or any system for that manner run that long without needing some sort of firmware / software upgrade.

Charm City Communications

I have read some posts on this site that really dog Nortel and put them down.

Whilst I liked working on the Meridian/Norstar/BCM, Nortel really did keep the core of Norstar running too long, they needed to move away from that, drawn a line under it and should of started from the ground up with the BCM when it moved to the Linux OS, the phones were really reliable, but unfortunately the idea of using a HDD plagued it with problems, in fact this HDD failure represents 80% of faults I attend.

Such a pity though, they played a massive part in telecoms history.

A little bit on the original question, all Rls6.0 systems can be expanded, have software support and updates until 1st October 2015, extended software support will be then given for a further 3 years until 1st October 2018, see the following
IP Office Rls7.0 brought support for the Nortel handsets M7xxx/M7xxxN/T-Series using the TCM8 base card, DS16A and DS30A expansion modules, the expansion modules even have the RJ21 connectors to aid an easier transition, they just missed a massive market by not providing any license migration what so ever, this makes it quite cost prohibitive to migrate a license heavy BCM. Having said that, the handsets work really well on the IPO, they retain a lot of the features of the BCM, and add most of the IPO features, makes for a nice blend of the two. Also 11xx and 12xx handsets are also supported, but they convert to SIP based handsets on the IPO, but in my opinion the user experience is not great, no doubt as SIP gets better into the future, this might change.

That being said do you think that it will be head to head AVAYA vs CISCO as the two major players in the world market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back