Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 trunk to SIP provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchBaZ

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2008
NL
Hi All,

I am new to this forum but i noticed it is one of the better if not best!

Here's my problem: I have a BCM50 2.0 and would like to add my 2 SIP accountsto the BCM as trunk.

These SIP accounts are with a commercial SIP provider here in holland and is probably similar to Vonage.

I just dont seem to have all the settings I need.. For example the SIP server can only be reached on IP, not DNS. And I dont have any field to enter the account details like the username and password for the accounts.

I suppose the issue can be solved by using SIP ATA's and connect the output of the ATA to the Analog trunk ports of the BCM but I prefer to have the actual SIP service running on the BCM itself.

Is it possible at all?

There is a 2 VOIP trunk license installed.

Do I need BCM V3.0 firmware installed? I am unsure about the exact improvements on SIP trunks...

Thanks in advance!!!

Bas

I have not worked with 3.0 yet but I do believe that in order to use SIP trunking the way you are looking to you need 3.0. Also, you need SIP keycodes not VoIP gateways as they are used for H.323.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

I doubt 2.0 will work. 3.0 has many improvements, but I still haven't heard of anyone getting a BCM to work with a regular SIP provider (only Nortel to Nortel connections) Here is a list of some 3.0 SIP trunking improvements:

Interoperability
Addition of standards based DTMF transport mechanism to enable applications such as AutoAttendant, Voicemail, and IVR when interoperating with non-Nortel devices (RFC2833)
Use of standards based mechanism to support Call Transfer scenarios when requested by the far end device (REFER)
Security
Use of a standards based authentication process ensures only gateways with valid credentials can place calls to the BCM and that BCM can provide valid credentials on outgoing calls when challenged (RFC3261, RFC 2617)
Outbound calls can now request suppression of Calling Line ID over a SIP trunk- Police TIPS, etc.
Robustness
SIP Proxy Failover mechanism enables use of multiple SIP Proxies for load balancing without relying on DNS query method with multiple entries
Simplified Configuration
Ability to use domain names in SIP address fields rather than being restricted to IP Address (RFC3263 – Locating SIP Servers)
Flexibility
Ability to designate G.711 codec for fax/modem transport when placing calls from designated analog interfaces provides an alternative to T.38 (which can translate to faster faxing)

Good luck

I can verify that a BCM50 3.0 will work with several SIP providers. I have SIP trunking going to an Asterisk box and to an outside SIP service provider working with the BCM50. The only oddness we see is on the outbound caller ID from the BCM50 to Asterisk / (Broadworks-based)SIP provider. A bit of trickery with Asterisk worked around that problem.

==================================
<INSERT SIGNATURE HERE>

robl,
I have a situation here.
I finally made the BCM50 rls 3.0 to talk to a SIP server.
I can authenticate fine, and the calls go out w/o a problem.
Now, i want the BCM50 to Register to the SIP Server, so the sip server can route calls to the BCM using the SIP Trunk.

Right now, the bcm authenticate, dials, place a call, and disconnect w/o registering.

Is there a way to do that with the BCM50 rls 3.0?

Thanks!

Dan.-

Hi Dgarcian, I'm quite sure there is no way to get BCM50 to register to a SIP provider. BCM doesnt send REGISTER messages. I'm tryng to make BCM working with a provider and now I face the callerid problem.

In the message BCM presents himself as "anonymous"

From: "Anonymous"<sip:520;phone-context=unknown@192.168.3.6;..........

How to force a different value in "From" field?

Thanks in advance
Heros

Hi Heros,

Are you using BCM version 3.0?

A lot was improved with SIP registration in 3.0.
In 2.0 i wasnt even able to fill in the log-in details.

Nevertheless i've got issues registering the 3.0 with a local SIP provider. Would be a charm if it worked though!

Cheers

Bas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back