Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 remote packages & fraud protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukane123

Technical User
Feb 12, 2020
CA
Hi all,

As I add more lines being answered by ICC/CallPilot, I am going over again the best practices for protecting against fraud and unwanted system access (BCM50 R6 with latest patches).

One thing I do not have implemented yet is remote restrictions on the lines that are auto-answered. I've read old posts about using remote packages, but I see that each line can have a remote restriction filter enforced in its settings. Am I missing something, or can I ignore the remote packages and assign a filter to each line as I need?

On a side note, there are users that call in to access their mailboxes remotely. Will the remote restrictions on the lines they call in from prevent them from using the dialpad to navigate their voice mailboxes (ex. Press 1 to replay, etc.)?

Thanks,
Matteo

Remote packages will only be useful when you have many trunks that are a mixture of public and private ones to allow you to restrict callers from being able to dial across a private network once the call has been answered by Voicemail etc.

By default, most settings deny access and I wouldn't think it will be an issue for you.

External Voicemail access onto mailboxs should have a long pass code and have auto disable enabled for good security. I would also set the password to expire on a regular basis as I knew of dial through fraud and other scams that occurred for one customer who never deleted extensions and mailboxes when a user left the Company.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Toll Fraud is caused by a trivial password along with COS that allows Off Prem Notify or External Transfer.

Using a password more than 4 digits and not using a trivial password will help you but to lock down for Toll Fraud just in case, see my FAQ in the Norstar forum.

My little thing for 20 years is to created filter 10 and add 0, 10 and lately *72(if they do not forward lines) and apply the filter to lines, not sets.
When on site and they do not use Off Prem or Ext Transfer then I change COS on all mailboxes to:
Callpilot/NAM = Filter 11
All others like Flashtalk/Mini = Filter 5

I disagree on the password expire, it causes too many issues/service calls, I disable that on every install.
When I get a service call on Toll Fraud I actually enable it and they are extremely happy and wonder why they didn't know it could be done.
Because they have to keep changing it they tend to use trivial passwords which btw can be disabled on BCM versions of Callpilot.

I feel the same about Windows , banking etc.

"Will the remote restrictions on the lines they call in from prevent them from using the dialpad to navigate their voice mailboxes (ex. Press 1 to replay, etc.)?"
Restrictions are only for calling out.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you cc and Firebird for your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back