Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 "Linux" is not Open or Accessible

Status
Not open for further replies.

edward1492

Technical User
Jun 17, 2006
US
I bought a BCM50 because it was advertised as being "Linux Based." To me, this implied at least that I would be able to view and modify the source code to customize it for my needs. Unfortunately, this is not possible. Nortel has totally locked off access to the hard drive. Even worse, such elementary functions as real-time CDR reporting are blocked. They do offer a "CDR Pull" program with the machine...however, that program only flashes CDR information in a window, and there is no way to store it into a database or otherwise capture it. Even an Executone32 system is more open than this. I'm very disappointed that I wasted $3000 on this system.

Lots of things are linux based, or have an open source core OS as part of their functionality. That doesn't mean the manufacturer has to give the end user access to everything on the system. That's part of the reason for the "right to use" verbage in the documentation - you don't "own" the software, but you have the right to use it as long as you own the system.

If you don't care about Nortel support on the system, hack away - there are many ways to gain access to the "core" of the system if you are determined enough. Just don't ask for help when it breaks.

Too bad whoever you bought the system from misled you - any reptuable vendor could have given you the proper answers to your questions and needs before the sale.

If you want an open source based PBX, go get an Asterisk system.

What I want is an open key-system, which Asterisk isn't, at least so far as I've been able to figure out.

So where can I find out about these "many ways to gain access to the 'core' of the system"?

i have been wondering this myself i don`t want to change enything it would be nice to get in and see why it might not be booting...

i agree with biv343 ...someone mis-led with wrong info. and just want to add a few more things

'Original Linux' was/is open source ...Red Hat Enterprise Linux is not. NT calls this Nortel Corporate Linux (or something like that)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back