Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 pulse dialling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ipohead

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2010
GB
I've got a Nortel BCM50 R6.0 to use with my old rotary pulse dial phones but they can dial all the digits except for 1

I checked this both with rotary dials and keypads with the same result so the dials are in spec.

Firebird Scrambler kindly tested this on his system and could see the issue but as wasn't aware of a solution as he thought pulse dialling wasn't a priority for Nortel.

I can probably number my extensions to get around this but I can't dial external numbers with a 1 in them.

I recall Firebird quizzing us.

I had sent this but not sure I heard back:

Try these for testing purposes..

-Maybe use Monitor and see if it dials 1 when calling out on a trunk.

-In place of dialing "1" try tapping the hook switch once quickly as a test.

-In Sets/CapPref/ATA settings try changing device from modem to phone

And too add, try dialing 1 twice.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks curlcordy

In monitor dialling 73 10000 shows as 73 and no call but dialling 73 50000 shows as 73 50000 and connects so the 1 must be a problem.

I'm afraid the other suggestions didn't help.

I am using the UK locale but I'm sure that shouldn't make a difference.

Maybe the 1 is interpreted as a hook flash. The "onhook duration" interpreted as hook flash used to be shorter in Europe but longer in the US. So, in theory, changing to the NA region could make a difference.

You could experiment trying very short hook flashes on your rotary phone instead of dialing 1 just to see if the system would detect them as the digit 1. Also, how is the analog phone connected to the BCM? Long time ago I tested pulse dialing on BCM50 with an analog phone connected via ATA2 and - as far as I remember - there were no issues with the digit 1. Maybe the rotary phone would work with ATA2...

Just a thought in that perhaps another feature is using digit "1" such as Call Park etc?. It should be possible to change the Park Prefix digit number to an unused one.

BCM_50_Park_Prefix_yrrxqe.png

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I should mention that I am using the 4 analogue ports on the BCM but I also tried an ATA2 as well as changing the park prefix and hook flashing.

In all cases monitor shows all the digits except for 1.

Well the phone is definitely OK as pulse dialling works if I connect directly to the my phone line.

The only workaround I can think of it to use some form of speed dial but of course I don't have access to FEATURE * # or 1!

I'm not clear how to set things so if I say dial 702 it will dial a programmed external number

Routes and Destination codes

Dial Plan/Routing/Routes
-choose a route such as 002
-input the destination phone number
-use Pool A (if lines are in Pool A)
-DN Type is Public

Dial Plan/Routing/Dest Codes
-Add dest code of 702, use Route 002, Absorb All

Dial Plan/Public
-Add DN Prefix of 702
-Change DN Length to the amount of digits dialed in total
Example for local long distance and X00 services: 702 X-XXX-XXX-XXXX
Total/Length would be 14

I also use this standard method for sites that frequently forward their phone to a mobile.
Instead of doing Feature 4 XXX-XXX-XXXX is just Feature 4 + Dest code

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks Curlycord. I was thinking of the Dial Plan but not sure how the external number was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back