Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 modem not negotiating

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCMprogrammer

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
This has happened to couple locations:

Dial into the AA and modem dn, then hear modem tones, but it doesn't sync up with my laptop and can't establish a connection. The latest patches are loaded on it, so I don't know what else to do, even if I were to go on-site.

Would a reboot be about the only thing left to try?

What type of trunks are in the BCM?

I've seen this problem with some new PRI circuits that are actually VOIP circuits. The only "PRI" portion is between the BCM and the router - the connection to the telco is IP. Modems won't work over those.

If your trunks are analog trunks that come out of some type of mux/channel bank, those could cause issues too, as sometimes those are fed with IP circuits.

If you're using straight old fashioned POTS lines, then I have no ideas for you.

Thanks Biv343,
The lines are supposed to be pots, but without further investigation with the telco, it could be some hybrid flavor like you suggested.

Since I haven't installed a lot of '50's I was wondering if there was a rash of problems experienced by others.

As long as you have all the applicable patches loaded, the modem should work fine. There were some modem issues in the early days, so it might be worthwhile to make sure that you're patched. Other than that, only thing that comes to mind is the trunks.

Had that happen and was told by Nortel to do a level 1 reset and try again. We have not been able to do that yet, but I will try to post the results once we do...

Is level 1 reset just the minor reboot that doesn't lose configurations?

I got this problem as well in one of my site, i was able to access and connect to BCM50 modem, but my Colleague in other location cannot connect, with the same problem as yours.

I think to isolate that ask one of your Colleague from different location to connect so that you will know if it is a carrier problem or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back