Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 IP Firmware Upload 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

exsmogger

Vendor
Oct 23, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm still using the old 2000 series IP telephones on my BCM50 R6. They are up to date with the latest release firmware. I've setup a TFTP server on my PC to provision the later model IP telephones, and flash them back and forth from SIP to Unistim. I know the 2000 series IP telephones can't be flashed using a TFTP server. They automatically download firmware from the BCM50 if it detects an updated version. My question is does anyone know what protocol the BCM50 uses to upload firmware to IP telephones? Is it some form of FTP, or a proprietary Nortel software? Thanks.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Brian i do not think that you can SIP enable the 2000 series. Maybe the IP 2007 but not the 2001, 2002 and 2004.
Have you ever tried to SIP enable them? MCS used SIP on IP 2004.

regards

Nikos

Oh, I wasn't intending to SIP enable the 2000 series phones. I'm in the middle of an effort to better learn the Linux system and I keep getting ideas as I progress. It's just for curiosity's sake that I'm trying to figure out how the phones discover if there's updated firmware on the BCM50. I've narrowed it down to a UFTP server service running on the BCM50. Perhaps I can find a way to update firmware in old 2000 series IP phones without having to connect to the BCM50. I know, not much demand for 2000 series phones these days, but it helps me learn how these protocols work. Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Brian

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

You telconerd!

What if you try and setup a UFTP server on one IP which you input into S1 on the phone but S2 is your BCM IP.
The set checks S1, updates then moves on to S2 to connect?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Actually, I've been looking into that this morning. I'm finding that Uftp is primarily a Linux process and doesn't seem to play well with Windows. I downloaded a Uftp server/client program that is supposed to work with Windows, but I'm getting nowhere so far. Still hacking away, though. [pc3]

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Brian, your problem is that you're looking for the wrong thing. The acronym UFTP was used by Nortel for UNISTIM File Transfer Protocol - a protocol for transfer of files under UNSITIM control over reliable UDP (RUDP). As far as I know, there were no stand-alone (Nortel) UFTP servers ever - this transport was always implemented as part of the Nortel terminal proxy server software on each Nortel switch.

Linux UFTP (that you found information about) stands for UDP based FTP - this protocol has nothing to do with the Nortel UFTP.

Well I was just wondering if you could fool it by finding the UFTP files on the BCM and copy to your linux machine using the same folder names:
example I found on file list: ./var/lock/subsys/UftpServer

However I would agree that doing laundry and cleaning the garage is the best route at this time.

[tongue]

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

curlycord, you might be right. But I actually just finished copying the Uftp files from the BCM50, as well as all of its lib dependencies (like DLL files in Windows). I've got a PC with Linux running that I can hose up with minimal consequences as I have the Linux install disk. Still, if I actually get this working it will be a freaking miracle! [pc]

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Indeed - that would be a freaking miracle. [smile]

The BCM50 uses PowerQUICC II processor ( This processor uses the 32-bit Power PC instruction set. You cannot run software for BCM50 on an Intel CPU that uses the X86 instruction set.

If you have an old Mac that has a PowerPC processor (e.g., Power Mac G4) with Linux running on it, you could in theory run some software components (such as the UFTP Server) from the BCM50 on it - but trying to get all the required dependencies from the BCM50 might still be a pretty difficult task.

Yes, I already considered that after my last post. I'm sure I'd be wasting my time trying to make this work on my Dell running Linux. I might give it a go on a recently acquired Raspberry Pi. It's just another toy at this point, so if I brick the thing I can always restore it from the image on the SD card. Or I might just load all the latest firmware on an old standalone BCM50 and call it a day. [smile]

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

I remember that around at 2001 - 2002 time frame there was an inside tool running on windows that was used to push firmware on 2000 IP sets (the purple barney sets this time) and another tool that was allowing you to use the 2004 ip set as a remote set behind vpn. (contivity vpn client that time).
I will look my old disks and if anything found i will post an update.

Regards

Nikos

Thanks Nikos. Back in the early 2000's my employer had me install a BCM200 (R3.6 as I recall) and tasked me with making remote 2002 IP phones work. I ended up installing a VPN router onsite, and a second NIC card in our PC's at the remote end with sharing turned on, plus configuring the VPN clients to make it work. Ah, the good old days. I much prefer NAT Traversal licenses. [smile]

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back