Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 imaging/licensing for an individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaritimegirl

Technical User
Jun 8, 2016
CA
Hi,

I have little knowledge and experience with telephone systems, and I've been entertaining the thought of purchasing a BCM50 and a couple of Norstar phones on eBay, just to tinker and educate myself with.

Although used BCM50 units are cheap on eBay, I'm reserved against buying one because I understand that the hard drives commonly fail (and obviously the ones on eBay usually aren't tested), and once that happens you have re-image a new drive, and then set up the license keys to make the thing functional again.

The cost of buying a second BCM50 would be prohibitive for me (and then that could have a bad drive too). The cost of buying a multi-image drive is also prohibitive. And I can't download the BCM50 hard disk image from Avaya because I'm not a company. Even if I somehow got a hold of an image, then I still have to go through a distributor, or whoever, to set up the license keys, and god knows what that costs. Or if I'm less lucky, the keys have been transferred to a new machine, and I would have to purchase new ones, the cost of which I assume would be prohibitive. If it's even still possible to purchase new keys at all.

I've also read that even just a Level 1 reset wipes out any license keys, which is bad because I'd want to do that to reset any custom admin login information and previous phone programming.

I was hoping, now that the BCM series is EOL, that hard disk images and keys would become openly available on the Internet, but it seems that's not the case.

So if I were to buy a BCM50 on eBay, and it turned out to have a bad hard disk, is there any hope for me, an individual with no professional relationship with phone equipment or users or distributors of said equipment, to restore it to working condition without going broke in the process?

May I ask why you want to learn/tinker with a system that is EOL as opposed to learning the newer technology out now?

Purchasing over Ebay is risky and yes it may cost you.

Some say the Maxator hard Drive fails a lot but its like any PC where hard drives fail especially when not on surge protection.

Key codes are still available for purchase however the most requested ones are becoming extinct.

KRS access ends soon so you will not be able to re-generate keys.

You can image a current drive using software such as Acronis

Contact me via one of my sites for more info.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

A scurly has stated, there is always a risk. My BCM 50 uses an SSD that works fine. We can create images for use at a later date and do much more..

The release 6.0 version was by far the best and some of us know how to get the best out of them.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

curlycord said:
May I ask why you want to learn/tinker with a system that is EOL as opposed to learning the newer technology out now?

Only because I like the older Norstar phones. It would be neat to set a couple up and see what I can do with them. Maybe actually integrate them as part of my household phone system. I am, admittedly, interested in this more from a hobby standpoint than a professional one. (Although I have doubt I would learn useful information.)

curlycord said:
Key codes are still available for purchase however the most requested ones are becoming extinct.
KRS access ends soon so you will not be able to re-generate keys.

And what happens then? Will it be totally impossible to reset a BCM to its factory state and freely configure it? Are there no ways around this?

Contact me via one of my sites for more info"

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Noted. Which of the three forms do I use, and do I have to mention your username or will the message go straight to you?

This one might be easier for you....
We are not allowed to post emails address's here.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Although the BCM range is now officially "end of life", there were developments made at 6.0 which weren't made public as Avaya wanted IPO to rule the roost.

There are a bunch of us on this forum who have spent some time getting the best parts and have found some not so good parts of the BCM system. We have mainly played with the BCM 50 as this little beast packs quite a punch once you have found what it can do.

I personally, along with a few other regulars contributors on this forum have found this system to be very useful and it does give you excellent value for money considering it's SIP features.

For the small core of us, some of your questions you have raised are no longer a problem anymore as we have found ways around them. Follow the previous advice given above.

Firebird Scrambler

A friend saved a BCM50 Rls 6.0 from the dumpster, as well as an expansion unit complete with a G8x16 module (not from the same system, unfortunately).
This will be perfect to replace our ancient DR1 Norstar and add a few more features.

So now my questions are pretty similar to maritimeman - I have a BCM50 with unknown keycodes, that I cannot gain access to because I do not have the ID & password for Element Manager. I am still working on getting into the hard drive to extract the license file.

Once extracted, how can I tell what features those codes are for?

TIA!

First of all, look underneath the BCM 50 unit to obtain the site ID and this will be in the form of a MAC address. Let us know what it is.

I can, along with others on this forum help you out. Recent advances have meant that we can look into the BCM at a higher level.

You might want to contact one of us off line as we can't give out email addresses or passwords on this forum.

Firebird Scrambler

Once the password is reset you can view what the codes are using Element Manager.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

The SysID is: 048A15BB05B9 (I meant to put into my first post...)

From what I understand so far:
- the easiest way to reset the Element Manager password on a Rls 5.0 or 6.0, is to re-image the hard drive;
- the keycodes are stored on the hard drive as wells as in some form of EEPROM

I have sent a message to CurlyCord off-line.

Cheers!

Got the message thanks.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Your BCM 50 system has the following licenses and as it is at 6.0, then there is plenty of scope to get it to be a useful phone system.

Voicemail seats : 4 units
Expansion Port : 1 unit
Int Digital Sets : 12 units

Firebird Scrambler

Thanks Firebird. That matches the list of keycodes that show up in Element Manager (C.C. was able to get me a password to get in). But that doesn't make sense considering the number of sets and IP trunks that show up when I log on through a phone set and look through the list of resources.

While snooping through the hard drive, I found some certificates that show a valid period "not after April 30, 2016". Does that mean that if I had looked at this system two months ago, the list of licenses would be a lot longer?

Yes - a great system that will do much more than we will ever require of it! :)

PS - Maritimeman - I apologize for hijacking your thread.

The BCM range was designed to allow customers to use many features without having to replace their phone system. Nortel / Avaya controlled this by making customers pay for auth codes to enable more facilities by having their keycode altered to open them up for access and configuration.

This is probably why you can view many of the sub menus but can't make any changes.

If you wish to know more, then feel free to contact us off line. As for the certificates, this doesn't seem to have presented us with any known problems.

We have previously looked into this as well as the IP sets certificates.

Firebird Scrambler

The system is finally up and running - yay!!

Many thanks to this forum and particularly Curly and Firebird!

Cheers
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back