Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 expansion and SIP compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabx1121

Programmer
Oct 16, 2013
IE
Hi all

Just a few questions hopefully someone can answer please

OK so at RLS 6 latest updates is a licence still required (which obviously is no longer available)to add an expansion module to the BCM50

In terms of the registration of SIP trunks to the BCM50 how open ended was it. Should most trunks or accounts that have a user name, password and domain name register without issues to the BCM50 again with the proper licenses or were some accounts or trunks easier to get working than others

Was it possible to register open SIP handsets to the BCM50 or did it just accept Unistim protocol handsets to register

thanks all

-Yes an we do them still

-Each SIP carrier can have different rules but the BCM is powerful enough to accommodate them.

-SIP sets are not supported on the BCM, only the Succession.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

As Curly has mentioned, the BCM with release 6.0 software can do all as said above. I have found that SIP trunks that only used login details such as a static IP address etc are difficult to register but most SIP providers that use a login and password tend to work with a little modification.

We have "played" with SIP phones that was developed at release 6.0, but was never released and therefore not supported. I personally that that they were more troublesome and you would be better off hooking the BCM to an Asterisk Server such as one that I have recently tried with a tiny Raspberry Pi at release 3 and I was using the FreePBX software.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks folks I will make contact with you regarding the modification of the system.
Have managed to get the sip trunks working however the volume of voice transmission on calls bcm side isn't as good as it was with the bri gateway still using sip. Is there any settings anywhere on the bcm 50 to allow for transmission gain of voice. Probably not.
I am also wanting to try out the 2050 soft phone. Is there still an evaluation licence included when downloading the softphone on the avaya website. I have enough ip licence so it's the softphone licence I am referring to as I thought in the past there was an evaluation 30 day licence included

Cheers

As Firebird mentioned, we have gotten SIP sets to register and work on the BCM, but only on the LAN side. They will not register on the WAN side unless you use a VPN. Also, SIP features are quite scant as Avaya dropped any further development shortly after they bought the line from Nortel. Another problem is the lack of resources in a BCM50. It has only 256MB of RAM. Using SIP sets seems to max out available resources, and we found that BCM Monitor won't work with SIP sets activated on the system. I'd stick with Unistim IP sets as it's fairly simple to get them working remotely.

I've used SIP trunks on my BCM50 for about 5 years with minimal problems. Volume has never been an issue, so I can't speak to that problem.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

-SIP sets are not supported on the BCM"
It is for the reasons above I say that especially in a public forum, I prefer not to mention it anymore unless special circumstances.
It's like giving you hope but in the end it's grief.

As for the 2050 you need to use version 2 as it does not require a license, which is a different type of license.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

exsmogger did the sip sets register via the same method as the ip phones did or did they use the VOIP / SIP trunks as a way of registration instead. I assume as they were not official Nortel / Avaya protocol then you guys prefer to keep discussion about them to a minimum is it?

Curly Cord version 2 is virtually impossible to get - just version 1. I did think that there was a 30 day trial with the latter versions but if there is then it doesn't seem to be on installation and must require some form of modification

cheers

yes but with sip trunks you are entering the username and password in the BCM50 supplied by trunk provider. with phones its the other way about you need to enter the details from the bcm50 into the phone. unistim phones register to the system via the 738662 as username and registration password if enabled in IP terminals. Does sip clients also register via this method as well?

unistim phones register to the system via the 738662 as username and registration password if enabled in IP terminals"
Not true
When you boot up any UnisTIM phone on a PBX it will ask for just the password.
When you boot up any SIP phone on a PBX or Carrier(SIP Trunk) the phone will then ask you to enter a user and password.

SIP Trunks from a carrier can be used with a SIP set alone or by a PBX for it's own sets be it Private or Public just like POT's lines.

Do not confuse SIP Sets with SIP Trunks.
Had Avaya continued programming the SIP Sets then you would see it's own set of programming.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Here is my guide on BCM and SIP phones. Myself and my colleagues Brian and Curlycord and a few others have done extensive testing a few years ago with BCM SIP phones. It really isn't worth bothering to use that feature. It WILL give you more grief as Curly has already mentioned.

I'd go for an Asterisk Server with SIP trunks from the BCM. I have been playing with a Raspberry Pi using FreePBX software as it's free.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Thanks guys

Curly cord in my case what you see in the photo is what I get everytime I register a new set to the system. The response to this prompt has always been to enter 738662 as mentioned then the next screen will ask for the registration password which is either 266344 or whatever other password is set

I appreciate now though why there is a reluctance to offer support via this channel for the sip sets as obviously the settings are in a different section and only via keycode which are only opened via the unofficial method. If I make contact with you outside of forum can you assist with these features further

Thanks again

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0994b6d0-bfe3-42c8-806d-8dc2757314b8&file=20201107_232233.jpg
I looked at the photo and it looks as if you haven't turned on the BCM IP set registration password that is usually 4 digits by default. When this happens, you have to enter in the telset login details.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back